POST A PIC OF YOUR PRIVY !!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Chaser
I have been trying to get these guys to post some pics of their privies and techniques, what they use etc.. I am trying to picture how they actually do it as I am new to the game as well. I had a look at a web site that had the equipment but there was no explanation of how to use it. soooo COME ON EVERYBODY,POST A PIC OF YOUR PRIVY AND TELL US HOW TO DO IT, PLEASE!!
Thanks Kim[:D]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a square wood lined privy

Fd90815.jpg

Attachments

• Fd90815.jpg
    Fd90815.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 103

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here is a pic of me in a small barrell lined privy it was probably only a half barrell as it was very shallow

Pn36218.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36218.jpg
    Pn36218.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 107

baltbottles

Reaction score
As For how to do it well that’s a bit more difficult. The digging part is pretty much straight forward. Take a shovel and dig the soil to the wall which in brick or stone lined privies is very evident its a bit tougher to define the edge with a wood lined privy near the surface but once you get 2-3 feet in the walls will become very apparent. I dig with a shovel until I hit a trash layer then I like to use a long screwdriver its great for loosing up about the next foot of layer and you won't break anything its also good for working bricks and stones loose to get them out of the hole. Then shovel out the soil I just loosened up and start with the next foot of layer. This works great if the hole dose not get more then 5 or 6 feet deep once it gets that deep you going to need a rope and bucket and a digging partner to pull out the buckets of dirt. Then repeat until bottom of privy. The real trick is finding the privies. This takes a lot of practice and experience and even then you will never find every privy on a site sometimes you mite not even find any at all but you know they must be there. Whenever I walk on a site I usually think were would I put a privy and start there. Look for any depressions in the most logical spots on the site and start with those and when you have a suspect spot dig a test hole some lots I worked the probe was totally useless and the only way I found any pits was to just dig test holes were I thought they should be.

I hope this helps
Chris

oz-riley

Reaction score
Kim,
I would love to post pictures of digs here in oz, however because digging for bottles is illegal in most Australian states due to our Heratage laws I would never dig any up [:D]

Here is a picture of a timber lined hole we found not so long ago, of coarse we did not touch it and if we had we may have found some great bottles. [8|]

It is a perfect square and notice how the grass is always greener, er sorry I mean the grass is green where the hole is due to more water being caught there.

Also Kim just for your own knowlage in Australia we call Privies 'Dunny Holes'.

Thanks
Chris

Nk28172.jpg

Attachments

• Nk28172.jpg
    Nk28172.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 99

IRISH

Reaction score
That was a classic that place [:D] , the only place that I've ever seen that you could just drive around and spot the dunny holes from the car. Pity that we are not allowed to dig them [;)] .

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Good mornin' (at least in Maine)[:)] You say it's illegal to dig in most places?!! Would it be possible to get 'certified' somehow as an cultural explorer in order to dig? The only places here prohibited by the govt. would be govt. land or burial sites.

oz-riley

Reaction score
Hi Norm,
Nope, you have to be an Archaeologist, if you find anything interesting under the ground you are meant to stop digging and contact 'Heritage Victoria' (in Victoria) and they will do an Archaeological Survey to ascertain whether they will hold an Archaeological Dig.

We have been trying to fight the Heritage Act 1995 since it was first brought into play but without much success.

Here is a link to the Act in a PDF file format if anyone really wants to bend their brain

Victorian Heritage Act 1995

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I can understand their concern that archaeological site might be destroyed by the 'untrained', however just think what goes 'un-discovered' because of this law.[8|] My wife and I were discussing your 'Heritage Act' and it reminds us of the law here in the USA; it is illegal for anyone other than a 'Native American' to possess a Bald Eagle feather! We had a case here in Maine last year where a person who kept a feather he found in the in the woods was fined $500, and HAD to pay. We probably all have been across a dig site at one time or another where some uncaring clod has left a mess in the search of artifacts for profit; unfortunately it leaves a blight in the eyes of some concerning our hobby/trade.[:mad:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky