$400 for a damaged druggist bottle?!?!?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I was watching a trio of RI medicine bottles that were put up by site member Jay's Emporium. They all went for more than I expected, but this one just makes no sense. Woonsocket pharmacy bottles are fairly common, with at least 50 versions out there. It's a big city, so that makes sense. This bottle, from a H.M. Dudley, is listed on the Little Rhody Bottle Club website (they even have a picture of it), and to top it off, it's got a nice 1/2" lip chip.

So, why on earth would a bottle that would be lucky to see $20 (even that's high) get bid up to $50 by three bidders, then $400 by two? I know the biggest collector of Woonsocket bottles, and since he has this bottle, he apparently wasn't bidding. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy here.

Ebay

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I had the same thing occur, two meds from hudson NY necks so chipped that they were practically gone, sold the pair for $90 auction

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Had a little help doing research, and both bidders do indeed collect RI stuff. The winner definitely has a habit of over spending, esp. for common bottles! I need to offer some RI stuff to him lol.

Lordbud

Reaction score
This type of result is why auction prices are not a true gauge of value. I regularly see bottles go over the top for no reason other than someone has money to burn and a desire to win. Two deep pocket collectors do not set prices in the real world for an entire hobby.

jays emporium

Reaction score
I was as surprised as everyone else with the Woonsocket RI bottle. I'm glad your research shows the bidding was legit. I guess drug store bottles are a hot category right now. 33 of the 37 bottles sold, most in the $5-$25 range expected, but 5 did extremely well. Woonsocket, RI for $406. Wakefield, RI with embossed owl for $104. to the same buyer but different second bidder. Palm Beach, Fla one ounce bottle for $157. Mammoth Spring, Ark for $159. And Northfield, Vt for $170. I hit a home run with these and I'm proud of it. Thank you to the ABN members who bid on some of them.
My grand-daddy 32 ounce ACL Miss bottle went for less than I paid for it though. I can laugh that off now with how well the others did.
Jay

druggistnut

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud
Two deep pocket collectors do not set prices in the real world for an entire hobby.

Very true, but they sure get "uneducated" folks worked in to a tizzy with regard to the "treasures" THEY dug up. I have had to pass on a couple of good bottles for my collection, because a novice just "knows" I am trying to jam them on a price.
Oh, well.
Bill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora