How was this bottle made?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

februarystarskc

Reaction score
I was just wondering how this bottle would have been made. I thought maybe iron pontil but there's no trace of iron. Maybe the preivous owner cleaned it off?

What do you guys think?

260790876CF74FB497E0AA77F546B0C6.jpg

Attachments

• 260790876CF74FB497E0AA77F546B0C6.jpg
    260790876CF74FB497E0AA77F546B0C6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 56

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yeah that could be iron pontiled.. you often see the big dot in the center of IP's..

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello februarystarskcl That center dot is a venting hole. These were a drilled hole, that had to be cleaned often and the tapered tool that took the first dirt out tapered the hole, after that taper formed, they pushed a wire through the hole; so the air that is trapped between the parison and the closed mold, can escape and let the bottom of the bottle form against the mold completely. The pontil (really a punty rod), was coated sometimes by graphite and glass dust or graphite and fine cast iron dust; and some times sand. I haven't found a good book reference that fully explains the system. I do know that excessive cleaning methods can quickly reduce the media showing on the bottles.
Your bottle is a beauty! RED Matthews

februarystarskc

Reaction score
Wow, you are very knowledgeable! Sounds like quite a process. THank you for explaining. I wish there was a video.

I don't think this was a dug bottle.

Thank you Red Matthews,

-Kevin

baltbottles

Reaction score
Looks smooth base to me I don't see any evidence of a pontil on that one. And yes looks to be a non dug example, very nice condition.

Chris

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

Looks smooth base to me I don't see any evidence of a pontil on that one. And yes looks to be a non dug example, very nice condition.

Chris
I thought the same thing Chris, but having very little pontil experience I hoped someone with great knowledge about them would chime in. Great bottle either way...

Brains

Reaction score
looks similar to a smooth base soda with a dot that i have- i don't believe mine has a pontil mark. I've been calling it a key mold- the mold line curves sort of around the inside of the base in a semi circle on one half but not the other, i'm guessing yours has the same feature? My bottle is a cobalt soda from Chicago- i think it has a big WHH on it... or something

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Snap case.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/bases.htm#Snap%20Case%20&%20Sabot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18