TYPE OF PONTIL?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

olddump

Reaction score
Yesterday I dug this big sided ink. On the bottom it has a straight line of rough glass that goes all the way through the bottom of the bottle. Does anyone know of a type of pontil such as this. I've thought snap pontils were round. This would be a flat piece of glass. Thanks for any help
Tom, Olddump

Attachments

• Mk25803.jpg
    Mk25803.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 78

olddump

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the bottom of this bottle. Disregard the attachment in last post.

Hf97519.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Tom . . .

I don't know what caused the mark on the bottom of your bottle -- it is not a pontil scar with which I am familiar.

I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "snap case pontil." The snap case was a basket-like gripper which cradled the new bottle. It was used instead of a pontil rod.

If there were any trace left by the snap case, it would be a slight indentation on the side of a bottle where it was gripped by the tool.

------------Harry Pristis

olddump

Reaction score
My mistake I know about what a snap case is so the picture and question should say what I did'nt. It's not a pontil I've seen either but as it goes all the way through the bottom of the bottle and is rough as if it had been snapped off [what I meant dropping the word case] if anyone does know please help me thank you. I can't think of any reason for such a thing
Tom, Olddump

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi Tom you and Harry would know more about this type of thing but I just wanted to say that it was a bad mold for some strange reason. Maybe a piece of metal got in there
just before the glass was blown into it. That's the fun of being a Detective, my real former job. I guess there are lot of strange things as all the old stuff is under the ground sometimes even evidence.
Thanks again for finding my bottle, and I wonder if Admin would give me a new handle like dump detective?
Dave

olddump

Reaction score
Hey Dave, This really has me stumped if Harry has never heard of it I probably won't get it solved. I wish I could get a pic of the inside too I'm convinced it's a pontil as it is glass and been broken off for some reason could be somthing they tried I don't know. But that's what makes this forum so great. Well we'll see what today brings I'm going digging this P.M. that will brighten up this dull drizzly day[:D]
Keep Looking, Tom, Olddump

olddump

Reaction score
Harry, Thanks I edited the case out so no one can tell how little I know[:D]
Tom, Olddump

olddump

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the inside of this bottle you can see it come through the bottom. Any help please and thanks ??

Zx72385.jpg

amblypygi

Reaction score
I'll bet that's not an ink, but a lamp, and the pontilish bit had something to do with stabilizing the metal part of the wick holder, if you can picture what I mean? Just a guess, but the ground top and large size seem to indicate a lamp.

This forum is a nice idea, I had given up on usenet because posting anything brought the spammers outa the woodwork like roaches!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Welcome to this forum, Bruce.

Do you collect fossil echinoids? ...or are you a hiker? ...Doesn't Amblypygus mean "walking foot"? I have Amblypygus, the echinoid, in my own collection.

----------Harry Pristis

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky