Warning for Gen Co MI --HORNETS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Just a heads up for my fellow diggers and detectorists in Genesee CO. Today while detecting and also an area I dig nearby. Both areas have large areas of the Japanese Hornets. Read up on these things. If youre allergic (as Iam) carry the kit!...I happened not once, but twice into these things today in 2 different locations a few miles apart. I have never seen them here and got a up close and personal visit. Both times unloading my equipment and seeing what I fist thought were just large horseflies.

I didnt notice all the mounds of dirt and the large finger sized holes until they came zooming out. I observed them from the suv and they are supposed to be the largest hornets. All I can say is those things were upto 2 inches and flying mad. Quarter inch stingers and some deadly juice to boot. These were spotted in the Genesee twp and Richfield twp area. Surely has to be more. Please becareful.

Dugout

Reaction score
Can you alert the weed & pest control and have them take care of them before someone gets stung?

MIdigger

Reaction score
Might be cicadia killer wasps? I dont know but theyre out there.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Pepsis wasps are solitary, Japanese wasps are colonial and very defensive of their homes. You have to kill them at night when all of the wasps are in the nest. Spray liberally down the holes with "Wasp Stopper".

epackage

Reaction score
Saw a NGC episode, a couple of them killed a whole honey bee colony with thousands of bees in under and hour, they cut the heads right of the bees...

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
They are probably European Hornets, Jap. hornets haven been seen here, yet.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

28F929D3F0A04ED1A5B5BF917E5B8FBD.jpg

Attachments

• 28F929D3F0A04ED1A5B5BF917E5B8FBD.jpg
    28F929D3F0A04ED1A5B5BF917E5B8FBD.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 69

MIdigger

Reaction score
All I can tell you is theyre about 2inches long some maybe +- that. But they were pretty dang impressive. Stumbling into one bunch of those holes was enough, but twice in one day? in two lacations miles apart? Dont know what the odds are of that....

Just lucky I didnt get zapped and have to stick myself with that pen. Those things had holes in the ground big enough for crawfish. Im no expert but if they arent the Japanese version, theyre something just as big. I still cant believe I walked into 2 zones of them and didnt get whacked.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18