tiny cobalt blue bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

janTN

Reaction score
i was having my garden rototilled for the very first time (thru sod and all) and turned up a dark blue bottle about an inch and a quarter tall, maybe 5/8 inch wide at the base tapering to a screw top. there's a seam down both sides and a raised triangle on the bottom with a smaller triangle in the middle of that one. i know less than nothing about bottles-have no idea even if it's old tho it must be if it's under the sod in a never tilled area-home on the lot is 70 years old. that's a regular sized package of chewing gum (5 or 6 sticks size) behind it. anyone have any idea what kind of bottle it is? how old? what i might have been used for? anything at all? the only thing i'm sure about is that it's really cute * grin*.

Lj22280.jpg

Picture reduced in size to 400 x 400 - Admin

Attachments

• Lj22280.jpg
    Lj22280.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 117

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I think it's a early Vicks bottle, the 'V' in the triangle is their trademark. If it wasn't blue, I might guess Vasaline. I have a few tiny ones like it as well, perhaps they were samples?[8|]

janTN

Reaction score
thank you both so much. i had no idea this website existed-found it on search. very helpful folks you are. i expected pretty much to always have to guess about this little bottle. now i feel confident i KNOW. i found the vick's thread and see the identical bottle there (now perhaps my tiny cap will show up maybe attached to a carrot in the garden *grin*). thanks a lot!

Tandy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: janTN

... and turned up a dark blue bottle about an inch and a quarter tall, maybe 5/8 inch wide at the base tapering to a screw top. there's a seam down both sides and a raised triangle on the bottom with a smaller triangle in the middle of that one.
Lj22280.jpg

Hi janTN, and greetings from Adelaide,South Australia.

I agree with the identification - it is indeed a Vick's Vatranol sample bottle. I have also dug up one or two here, but more common are the larger size, same shape, but about the same diameter of the blue Vicks jars and about the same height.

I also agree with you, it is a cute little bottle!

Tandy, Adelaide, South Australia.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
These are as common as rocks here in New England. I have dug many many vicks/milk of mag./ bottles.....I collect boxes full, then trade them all for one bottle I want at local antique stores...

Bluebelle

Reaction score
I have another type of Vicks sample - it's 1 3/4 inches tall, flat shape instead of cylindrical, tapered at the shoulders, VICKS embossed on the side. Smallest bottle I ever found.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi