Soda Bottle question, First Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tennessee B

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first day on this site. I wanna share a quick story then ask a question about a bottle.

Two days ago (Friday) I was with my grandparents out in Gibson Co. Tennessee, we decided to stop by my great great grandfathers house, which he built in 1888. It is still standing and the backyard of the house is filled with a fews acres of woods with the outhouse still up. It has been turned into a well known haunted house run by the Lions club and is vacant when it is not October. Anyway we were walking back in the woods and came across a few glass bottles. I started looking for more and came to realize that they were everywhere. Under all the ivy and leaves there were pieces of rusted tin and under the tin it was filled with glass bottles and jars. Most everything I found were bottles or jars (Ball, Purex, Clorox, Speas Vinegars, Coca-cola and milk jugs) and buried deep in the ground, many were not labeled on the glass. I did find an iron tractor and the top of a coca-cola cooler which reads "Drink Coca-Cola". My great grandfather who grew up in the house was the owner of a coke bottling plant back in the 20's and 30's which would explain the coke items. I ended up taking about 25 bottles/jars home.

Anyway sorry to bore you, the main reason I am writing is to get some info on a soda company called "Good Grape". I found a Good Grape bottle in great condition but I can't find any information on it anywhere. There is one on ebay w/5 days left but searching the internet shows no real results. Hopefully someone can help. Any information on anything would be appreciated. Thanks

madman

Reaction score
yo welcome! seems like a good dump, keep digging post some pix mike

acls

Reaction score
I don't know much about Good Grape, but I'll tell you the little that I do know. Embossed Good Grape bottles have been reported coming out of Elizabethton and Lexington Tennessee. These were dated 1922 and 1925, and aqua in color. That's the extent of my Good Grape knowledge. Hope this helps.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
You dig those around WEST TN they came out of the Memphis area. They are from the 20's . I dig them in 20's dumps fairly regular. You don't find them in pre 20's or post 20's dumps so they must have stopped making the product in that era. They came out to compete with NU-grape. All I have seen or dug have been aqua. DMD

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hey T, welcome to the forum! You have a great opportunity to find some really good bottles on that property. You can dig the outhouse, for one. You can really dig that dump with the Cokes. Because your great grandfather owned a Coke plant, you could come up with some unique bottles, either from his plant, or from anyone who did business with him. He probably had a lot of Coke advertising, promotional items, etc, that may have survived, even if buried. Either way, a house built in 1888 is plenty old enough to turn out some nice bottles if you find the older part of the dump. It sounds like a great chance to find some really nice items! Good luck, keep us posted, send pics....and don't think for a minute that you're going to bore us. Quite the opposite!

Jim

Reaction score
Good Grape could have been one of your great-grandfather's product offerings. I have a 1924 advertisement for the local Coke bottler here in Lewistown, PA, and Good Grape was bottled at the local Coke works. Other brands bottled there included Whistle, Vess Dry, Hires, Blue Bird and Lemonella. ~Jim

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Figured I'd post a couple of pictures of two Good Grape bottles I own.

25AEA84350DD4AE88171E5F36DD90D22.jpg

This one is from Pocahontas, VA.

Attachments

• 25AEA84350DD4AE88171E5F36DD90D22.jpg
    25AEA84350DD4AE88171E5F36DD90D22.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 54

morbious_fod

Reaction score
This one has not town name. This is the only one of this design I have ever seen. Yes that is the original contents and original cap unfortunately it's gotten a lot of wear over the years.

323A5AC1A84145658A5954D7D1649D54.jpg

I know it was bottled in Marion, VA as well, although I have never seen a bottle with Marion, VA on it, but I have seen photos of their building and the signs on their trucks. A recent look at an old picture of the Columbia Orange Crush Booth at a local industrial show back in the twenties proved to be very educational and a possible explanation for the lack of Good Grapes from Marion, VA. Close examination of the bottles that were placed in the bottle holder displays for Good Grape proved to be the ski hi type bottle design that have been associated with Orange Crush bottling Companies.

Attachments

• 323A5AC1A84145658A5954D7D1649D54.jpg
    323A5AC1A84145658A5954D7D1649D54.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1