J. Boardman & Co (puce)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Pictured below is a pretty scarce graphite pontiled soda found in Sacramento, California back in the 1970's....Man, that's a long time ago..... The bottle is embossed on the front J. Boardman & Co New York and on the reverse Mineral Waters "B" This bottle is never sold. I've seen any number of puce J. Boardmans...they range from a lite puce to this near chocolate puce (is there such a description as chocolate- puce)....well there is now...This bottle has a brownish cast to the lite reddish color. Personally the lighter puce colors allow more light through the bottle and display better. Still I like this bottle immensely. I have found through the years two other puce Boardmans all with major damage. One of those bottles has been repaired and resides in a good friends collection.

This New York soda traveled a long way across the United States back in the day of ardous travel...my guess, by sailing ship "around the horn". The whole concept of Eastern goods being shipped to gold rush California just boggles the mind.

The bottle is pictured for your enjoyment.

Just curious, How common are puce Boardman's on the East Coast?

136EF2578A7F490AA2AB9974DC85347D.jpg

Attachments

• 136EF2578A7F490AA2AB9974DC85347D.jpg
    136EF2578A7F490AA2AB9974DC85347D.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 93

twowheelfan

Reaction score
its pretty scarce. for sure. you really are posting some great bottles! thanks!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I dug that exact bottle, or one very similar, in Old Sac at that same time. Sold way back then for just a hundred bucks. More than one puce Boardman sodas came from the oldest part of River City.

sandchip

Reaction score
I've drooled over the one pictured in the color section of More Pop since I was a teenager. That one and the violet cobalt, sided-neck Holmes from N.O. Thanks for sharing it with us.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Oh Mike, why did you have to go and get into the realm of what I collect. [;)] Great bottle!! Thanks for sharing the photo. Looks like a beauty. Like Jimbo mentioned seeing that one in More Pop too put it on my list for quite some time. John O'dell shows a few that have sold in the past.

I've been tracking these great colored examples for awhile.

O'dell shows one that sold in 2007 in "deep purple". It was sold through American Bottle Auctions.

Also in that same year 2007 in ABA one sold in a "medium puce". In 2003 one sold in a "yellowish olive".

It's a killer for sure! In '07 bitters was predominantly what I collected. I expanded later and pontiled sodas and mineral waters have been the focus of my collection. I know it isn't for sale, but if down the road it ever is send me an email.

Looking forward to what else you have tucked away in that fantastic collection you have shown so far. [:)]

~Tim

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Caldigr2 .....Mike, I wish you still had that soda...We could place them side by side to enjoy the similarities.....I found mine on the Embarcadero near the bicycle bridge...Please do not devulge my technique...but I thing Doug & you were there when I found it. I remember finding the olive op cone ink as well.....Where did you find yours?

Potlidboy

Reaction score
sandchip..........The author of More Pop was Alan Schemeiser...He is a cousin of mine (small town-Dixon)...He & his dad had a remarkable soda collection. They sold the collection many years ago & began to collect duck decoys...

He & his father flew back to Georgia numerous times in the 1960's to dig bottles....They brought back John Ryans by the box full.....

Isn't it funny, how the comparitive rarity of bottles was not known....It took 70 years or more, information of the early collectors (Gardner, Wilson, Markota, etc) stuff rolling out of the ground today & the internet to establish a true idea of rarity.....Man I wish I knew then what I know now.....Still I've been very lucky!

The color plate in More Pop still takes my breath away.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
bottlekid76..........Thanks so much............COLOR IS KING......It is just insane how certain bottles gain a pedigree....I know that I track bottles as well......... watching them go from one collector to another ..............I must say this as well....I truely appreciate some else (other then me) getting a great bottle....to feel joy for some else's triumph is a measure of character....I know you feel the same way...I can tell from your writing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp