CASTLEROCK soda circa 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Can you soda-collectors tell me anything about this turn-of-the-(19th)century soda?

It is embossed CASTLEROCK in a banana-shape logo. The bottle has a hand-tooled, crown lip which dates the bottle to just a handful of years circa 1900.

The base is embossed PCGW, a glassworks with which I am not familiar.

The bottle is on the small side, standing 7.5 inches with a capacity of 8 ounces.

(In the pic below, I have lightly dusted the embossment to make it more prominent.)

---------------Harry Pristis

Db86111.jpg

Attachments

• Db86111.jpg
    Db86111.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 72

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi Harrry thought maybe you were on vacation. Yes PCGW is one of several marks used by Pacific Coast Glass, that one was used 1902 to 1924. Don't have it noted where there were located but would bet San Fransico. If you are looking in any direction for CASTLEROCK thought there was a town in the South of Washington State with that name. Seems like I have seen a sign off #5 for that. I know for sure we have a MOSSYROCK.
Dave

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thanks, David.

I checked my world atlas before I posted. There are three towns called "Castle Rock," in CO, MN, and in WA. Plus there are three mountains called "Castle Rock," in OR, VA, and SD. There is no "Castlerock" spelled as one word listed, although there might be dozens of local placenames that remain unlisted.

If it is a Western soda, I can understand why I haven't seen another here on the East Coast (though I haven't looked very hard). I bought the bottle as part of a collection, and I really don't collect sodas.

Anyone have any idea about the rarity/value of this soda?

-------------Harry Pristis

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Harry & David
After a quick search the only thing I could come up with was "Castlerock Brewery Ltd in Nottingham UK". I didn't look for the history and I'm not sure if a brewery would do sodas? There are a few places written as on word "Castlerock" including a ghost town in Utah 1800's to early 1900.
Thanks
Kim

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Kim may be on to something there Harry, but I like a mystery and will let you know if I find anything. Kim you didn't read that I broke my metal detector coil, well I blamed you.
Dave

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, Kim and David . . .

The ghost town in Utah would fit with the Pacific Coast Glass Works embossment. That's interesting.

--------Harry Pristis

Kim

Reaction score
Hi David & Harry
Let me know if you find any more info, it can be quite challenging at times to source info on some of the bottles. I enjoy the challenge but I am limited to the internet.

Oh David, I hope you are alright. It's better the coil broke and not you. It is quite alright to blame me, I have broad shoulders[:(].lol. You should have somebody with you when you do these adventures, I wouldn't like to be out on my own too many things can go wrong. I hope you have recovered and don't worry about the coil, it's able to be replaced.

Regards Kim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis