Mrs. Cox Pontiled Indian Meds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here is my pair of pontiled Mrs. M. Coxes Indian Vegetable Decoction Balto. There extremely rare i dug the one on the right. The best part is they both have different lips.

Db86452.jpg

Attachments

• Db86452.jpg
    Db86452.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 133

Pontiled

Reaction score
Great finds! I have these listed with an iron pontil in my Collector's Guide to Civil War Period Bottles and Jars -- Third Edition at $125 - $150, in mint condition. They are probably worth more now. The notes I have concerning them is that the were found in a camp from 1861 in Virginia, so they may have been a bit earlier but managed to go to an 1861 camp. They were really scrambling to find supplies then.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Chris - Superb. Btw Andy Goldfrank has said that Balt privys are particularly tough digg- ing, being super dipped in order to prevent discease spread possibly- do you find this to be the case?

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hi J.D.

Yes Andy is right about baltimore privies being super dipped. There is plenty to dig just it takes some persistance to do well here. In the past year i've dug about 75 privies of which most were not really worth digging. Only about 5-10 were worth the effort the rest either had been dipped out to before embossed bottles were widely used 1830s or had been completely dipped out around the 1870s and reused up until after 1900. The best you can really hope to find in these are a few good blob beers or strap sided whiskey flasks. Baltimore seems to have really dipped away the 1840-1870 era stuff. But when you hit an undipped privy from that era it can be very good.

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi