Cundurango

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Here are couple of my Cundurango bottles. The definition of what the word Cundurango follows..Cun`du*ran"go (k?n`d?-r?n"g?), n. (Med.) The bark of a South American vine ( Gonolobus Condurango) of the Milkweed family. It has been supposed, but erroneously, to be a cure for cancer.

The Cundurango Bitters was concocted by a local purveyor of wines and liquors, George W. Chesley, of Sacramento, Cal, in 1871. After a short time Chesley moved to San Francisco to further enhance the sales of this, and other, products. He maintained offices in Sacramento and SF simultaneously, but shortly moved back to Sacramento and his fine brick home on H St. sadly, his house, along with many others, was lost to "improvements", namely office buildings.

The Cundurango bottle is simply embossed on two sides with the name, and a provision for the label on one panel. The word Bitters is not to be seen; the label identified what the product contained.

I had a photo of them all lined up but looks like it has been lost temporarily. Gotta search further, but these two green examples will suffice for now.
CIMG2317.jpg

Huntindog

Reaction score
Mike,
Looks like you have to many GREEN ones.
I'll take one... and help you thin them out...

Very Nice indeed!!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Michael..........Just takes my breath away. Great Western Glass thanks for posting.[:)]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Despite the bottle being originally distributed in Sacramento few have been dug here. I have found one in town and a few in outlying towns. The areas where they seem to have been heavily distributed were the gold towns north of Auburn and western Nevada.

I can recall when Cundurangos were pooh poohed by collectors and it seems like when I began to search for them they became hot items. Here's the main bunch all lined up for the BB gun.[:D]
CIMG0493.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Here's the main bunch all lined up for the BB gun.
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Anyway, nice is all I can say for sure because I have a Q. Pic 1 # 1 looks like standard embossed... except the first N which looks kinda block lettered. Is that an illusion?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky