Old Nantucket Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ron1

Reaction score
In the mid 70's, I spent the summer in a house on Orange Street on Nantucket. I found this bottle in the attic. It's made of dark green glass and, at the time, had a somewhat soiled label on it. Sadly, I promptly washed it off then, and can't remember what it said. The bottle seems to have a taper top, and the body is in three sections; the round body, with two halves of the neck together on top (there is a vertical seam running up the neck from the horizontal joint). Quite a few small bubbles are trapped in the glass. The base says "CB & Co" with an "N" under it. In the photo you can see a large piece of cork still inside. Can anyone venture a guess as to age and type? Many thanks

Wu61470.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61470.jpg
    Wu61470.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 70

ron1

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to add the picture of the base!

Bz77138.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77138.jpg
    Bz77138.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 70

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hello ron1 and welcome to the forum. The mold you describe is a 3 piece mold that was in use primarily from 1840's to 1870's. It's a shame you washed the lable off.[&o] Looks to me to be a spirits bottle of some sort (possibly ale). My limited reference on bottle marks does not show CB&CO but I'm sure someone who reads this will have knowledge of this bottle maker. Hope this helps, Kelley

olddump

Reaction score
It is a three piece mold bottle ,witch is self explanitory. They almost always held beer or ale of some form. The embossing on the bottom is probably the bottle maker. The three part mold was in use from about 1806 to 1889 by the Sellari's Dot & Carlo. Not much eles without the label.
Tom, Olddump

P.S. I must learn to type faster[:D]

David E Dearden

Reaction score
I don't have much noted CBCo three Piece Mold 1870 to 1880 Unknown Company (No & mark)
CCCO 1876-1883 Carl Condrad in MO.
CCGCO 1856 to 1894 Cream city WIS
C& Co CCo Cunninghams 1879 to 1907 PA
No N under above

NBBGCo 1835 to 1930 North Baltimore bottle
N & Co 1872 to 1913 England
So you get to choose or have more help than that.
Dave[8|]

ron1

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the comments. The only thing that I remember about the label (about half of which was on the bottle, and it was fairly torn) was that it was in black and white with a fair amount of writing on it. I would put the construction of the house as mid-1850's so I think the bottle may have been left there by one of the builders -- or early owners -- who knows? I'd be interested to see if someone can find the bottle maker by the mark CB & Co with the "N" underneath it and if it is a local (eg, New England) manufacturer. Anyway, its going into my garage office (construction 2004!) and not in the attic, by the way!.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky