OWL DRUG

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Went to a nearby auction that had advertised bottles and jars. No more information than that was listed in the paper. I am sure everyone dreads those jaunts knowing the trip usually ends up being just a "NICE DRIVE". To my delight one box had several medicines from a town about 35 miles north of me. Sharing what I think was the best bottle find!!!

THE OWL DRUG STORE embossed with the familiar owl logo. It is from KIRKSVILLE, MO., measuring 6-5/8" and BLUE RIBBON is embossed on the base.

Attachments

• 49A9EDCCC23E42DF8571ACE0C22BB3C3.jpg
    49A9EDCCC23E42DF8571ACE0C22BB3C3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Bruce,

Welcome to the Blue Pages. I'm a big fan of your excellent website. Thanks for all your efforts there.

This looks to be one of the ABM 2 wingers. "Blue Ribbon...........Standard Glass Company, Marion, IN (c. 1907-1933). Trademark is found base-embossed on their line of clear ("flint") rectangular pharmaceutical/prescription bottles. This trademark was reportedly first used in 1908, according to information published in Arthur G. Peterson's 400 Trademarks on Glass (1968). Standard Glass Company was bought by Foster-Forbes in 1933." From.

"Kirksville, Mo. -- The two stores known as Owl Drug Stores Nos. 1 and 2 have been consolidated. WT Stephenson, proprietor; DI Stephenson, manager." Southern Pharmaceutical Journal, 1914.

Those Stephenson boys were some marketers: "The Owl Drug Store of Kirksville, Mo. advertises: 'Bring your kodak to us and we will stamp your initials on it in gold free.' Here is a nifty stunt for getting the 'kodakers' to come to the Owl Store." The Spatula, 1915.

"Dr. W.T. Stephenson is proprietor of the Owl Drug Store at Kirksville, Mo." Meyer Brothers Druggists, 1917.

mo_kirksville01.jpg

"The community was named for Jesse Kirk, settler who pledged free whiskey and dinner for the surveyors if they named the community for him." From.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Hello
surfaceone
and thanks for the kind words and info on the bottle. It could be ABM, but there is no seam running through the lip and it has the look of being applied. Appreciate the references too. Happy Hunting.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Blue Ribbon made some of the last embossed pharmacy/druggist bottles vintage 1915 (give or take a couple years). Congratulations on your find with the Owl pic. This would be a tooled finish lip on this example.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94