ASKING TOO MUCH?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
My sis and I are what is left of my family of mom..dad..brother..of course there are kids and grandkids..but that ain't what this is about.

When my mom died in 2008 and ..the family plus my mom's preacher were at the funeral home sitting at a table with the funeral director sorting some of the details out about mom's funeral..
The director said "Well first we will need $450.00 up front for the grave digging..it was like "WOW"Can't even wait on the insurence or anything..the preacher looked kinda mad at this and started to say something,but stopped himself.

What I hope and would it me too much to ask.. do yall think ..if some bottle digging people from close around dug my grave to keep these vultures from putting this burden on my family?Also it would be great knowing bottle diggers did this!!I know if just 3 helped it would take very little time.

Also I hope to get a carpenter to build me a plywood casket or some cheap wood. Also hope to get kin to take me to the grave yard in the back of a pickup truck..plenty of pickup owners round here!

I have lived simply and want that for my burial!

I won't be there no way and it wouldn't bother none of my family for this to be done..hey not planning on this soon..but ya never know..as I said it would be cool to keep as much money outa the funeral home's pocket as possible and to know this ahead of time would make me feel good!!

Opinions?Hope this ain't too morbid..LOVE YALL..JAMIE

epackage

Reaction score
I like it, but I doubt they would let just anyone dig the hole on their property, the rest seems very doable...good luck[;)]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
A very interesting post Jamie. Have you considered cremation without burial?

PD

glass man

Reaction score
JIM:The property is the LINDSEY burial plots my dad bought at the church years ago..it is the only little piece of land I own![8D] So the funeral people should have nothing to say bout it...

Tom..I have considered it..but that would bother my family as they want us to be buried in the same plot as my pop..mom..and brother are in...otherwise I could care less bout my body after I have vacated it..JAMIE

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

hope to get kin to take me to the grave yard in the back of a pickup truck..plenty of pickup owners round here!

Hahaha! [:D] Not trying to make light of a serious topic but the mental image of that is hilarious! [:D]

Honestly, it sounds like a great idea and I'd definitely help fulfill these final wishes if I were in the area, though I hope that you and Nina get to spend many many more years together, and with us here. [:)]

I wonder how the funeral director would react to all this, hehe. 450 for digging a grave is obnoxious. Around here they dig them with a backhoe in mere minutes and even with the time spent refilling the hole, seeding the dirt, and dumping the excess dirt displaced by the coffin/vault I doubt it takes more than a couple man-hours.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

I like it, but I doubt they would let just anyone dig the hole on their property, the rest seems very doable...good luck[;)]

Why not I dig hole on peoples property all the time [8D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

ORIGINAL: glass man

hope to get kin to take me to the grave yard in the back of a pickup truck..plenty of pickup owners round here!

Hahaha! [:D] Not trying to make light of a serious topic but the mental image of that is hilarious! [:D]

Honestly, it sounds like a great idea and I'd definitely help fulfill these final wishes if I were in the area, though I hope that you and Nina get to spend many many more years together, and with us here. [:)]

I wonder how the funeral director would react to all this, hehe. 450 for digging a grave is obnoxious. Around here they dig them with a backhoe in mere minutes and even with the time spent refilling the hole, seeding the dirt, and dumping the excess dirt displaced by the coffin/vault I doubt it takes more than a couple man-hours.

OMG im laughin hard you are right plumb that is a funny mind picture!

Hope it all works out for ya Gman. On a more serious note.

Becides you arnt going anywhere for a long time,dont even think about that stuff.

LC

Reaction score
They use a back hoe at the cemetary in the town where I live , the cost is I think 350 bucks to dig the grave site . Getting where one can't even afford to pass on anymore .

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Boy I thought I was having a bad day............. I know you are being serious with us here Jamie.........You haven't been over medicating lately? >>>>>just thought Ide ask.......If you are going to build your own casket at least make sure it is pressure treated as you wouldn't want to be dealing with termites in a couple of years....Just in case there is a waiting period before you actually get to the Pearly Gates ........ Why 3 bottle diggers why not 4 or 5 they would dig the hole a lot faster in shifts. Heck if you own the plot of land in the grave yard seems a night time burial may be in order[:)] Whoever is overseeing this request needs to know all of the details before the big day....you cant just spring it on him or her..The items you will need to make this happen quite quickly and efficiently:

Items you will need Jamie to complete the journey to the afterlife.

1. Someone or a few guys not afraid to go to jail if they are caught.
2. One 12x8 tarp ( this way when they cover you up no dirt is on the surrounding turf raising suspicion in the eyes of the grave caretakers) $ 23.00
3. Sod 4x8 feet to cover the hole back up with.... A lot easier then trying to reuse the original turf. Go with a Tall Fescue/ Rye cemetery blend 21.00
4. Pressure treated 4x8x1/2" plywood 2 sheets @ $25.00 each ...$ 50.00
5. Misc. Hardware deck srews and 4 large gate handles for the coffin $30.00
6 New spade tipped shovels 3@ 21.00 each. $63.00...these bottle digging guys are as frugal as you Jamie and we dont need a shovel breaking during the dig
7 Dirt tampers 2 @ $25.97 each $51.94 no need for 3 tampers as the 2 shouldn't break
8 Need one ordained bottle minister.....Rick 25.00
9 Pick up Truck: Make sure you have 4x4 drive. Gas to the cemetery $8.00 ( wouldn't want to get stuck in the grass or mud with you in the back bed.... hard
to explain to law enforcement )

Total expenses for your burial: $271.94

So it can be done Jamie, You just have to have a good plan!!

bobble

Reaction score
There are some really big and beautiful sinkholes that connect to the cavern system in the woods I hunt and hike.All I have to do is give up someones' marihuana patch,and that's where I'll end up.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown