PURE OLIVE OIL S.S.P.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crozet86

Reaction score
Hey gang,
I dug this olive oil bottle or maybe it is a decanter from a plantation privy here in lexington va. from a pre 1900 privy.It is embossed:pURE OLIVE OIL S.S.P. Does anybody know what company made this orpossible value? The side seams stop 1 1/2" below bottom of lip. Thanks in advance!

Eb86850.jpg

Attachments

• Eb86850.jpg
    Eb86850.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 371

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi crozet86,

That's an SSP olive oil. Samuel S. Pierce He was a grocer in Boston,Ma 1880-1920 specialized in imported goods from all over. I have seen them in clr,green and aqua as well as a couple sizes. Lots of people like the shape but not real rare. Usually can get 10-20 bucks if in good shape.

Cliff

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
crozet, they made these two sizes that I know of, they will turn purple if you leave them out in the sun too

Ay73309.jpg

crozet86

Reaction score
Thanks prospector and caretaker. After i saw your pic of the smaller version caretaker i realized that i had dug a couple of these a few years ago.....lol. I guess you cant remember them all.I hhhave about 30 bottles im cleaning from the same privy that the oil bottle came from. Ill be posting them maybe tommorrow.

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Steve , I saw the same bottles too, but that one was in between the two I have , my taller on is a good 4 to 5 inches bigger than my smaller one

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hey Caretaker

What are the heights on your S S Pierce olive oils. I have 9 7/8 and 11 3/4 inches on the two I had at the show. Just curious if there are three heights. I have dug lt green, aqua and clear as well.

Cliff

Steve in MA

Reaction score
My digging buddy Sean has one, I'll have to get the size from him. I was going to say hi to you (caretaker) when you stopped at Bearswede's table, as I've seen you post on the Depot for years, but I mainly lurk. Of course I didn't realize that that was Bearswede till I saw one of the pictures with his name, I bought a Congress Water off of him. I'll see if I can get that SSP size.

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Cliff there are three, mine are 11 1/2 and 7 1/2, I knew mine were differant sizes, now I'll have to look for the other size and colors haha [:D]

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. If you find another small one I'll trade you a medium size if your interested.[:D] I dug a real small one 5 1/4 in tall but it isn't SSP. Identical shape but embossed W.A.CASTLE/SPRINGFIELD/MASS on the bottom. Keep on diggin.

Cliff

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown