Recent Auction Score

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
Here's the best of a group I recently picked up at an auction! Excited to have them all, but really looking forward to figuring out the color on the HGCO 162. It's looking like aqua tint or even purple tint to me, but just not sure. I'm bringing it with me to the Springfield show to get some opinions from more experienced collectors. There was two of Provo's, but already sold one.

Anyways, wanted to share the group.

A85051314492403DA849347F85A864F5.jpg

Attachments

• A85051314492403DA849347F85A864F5.jpg
    A85051314492403DA849347F85A864F5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 101

BillinMo

Reaction score
Nice group of glass!

FWIW (and I don't claim to be a color expert), I don't see any trace of purple in the HG signal. I'd guess it's ice aqua, which is still a very nice piece! A purple tint would have enough purple in it that you wouldn't be wondering.

sparrow75

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be srprised if most people go with ice aqua. The purple tint I see is definitely extremely subtle, and really comes and goes with the lightng.

Looking forward to getting it in the hands of people with way more knowledge in colors than me.

BillinMo

Reaction score
You know, Chris, you've got me thinking... there are several H.G. styles known in aqua with purple swirls -- like the Mickey Mouse pictured here and the CD 151 pictured here.

I'm wondering if your signal might have a faint purple wisp in it? That sounds like what you're describing, especially "comes and goes with the lighting." I don't recall offhand seeing a 162 in ice aqua with purple swirls, but it would be worth asking around the HG collectors to see if they're familiar with it.

Of course, big dramatic contrast between swirls -- like in the photos I linked -- will equal a much higher price tag, vs. a faint wisp that you can kinda-sorta see when you turn it just so in the sunlight. But still, it's an interesting possibility!

Brains

Reaction score
hemingray glass from around that time and in that colour has been found with faint purple swirls in it sometimes- there's the cd-257, 280, and 151 that immediately come to mind when i try to think of ice aqua hemingrays with purple swirls. The colour shouldn't be limited to those styles- any hemingray could have been made from the same glass and have the same swirls, so it's possible you're right and you've got a Lightly swirled 162....which would be pretty awesome. It's already a nice insulator as it is, old hemingrays in that colour are pretty uncommon.

Bixel

Reaction score
Easiest way to tell if it has a purple tint or purple swirls is to hold the insulaor under water and look at it. That will help you see impurities in the glass like light milk swirls, purple swirls, etc.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Aqua, purple, I have no clue.Then again, I don't know what HGCO 162 is either. I will say I like the finds.
Sorry, just an insulator know nothing here but wanting to learn guy. [8|][8|]
Please tell.

sparrow75

Reaction score
It definetly has some milk swirls in it. I'll do the under water test tonight. I'll also snap a few more pics and post them for fun. Also have had some people say its the smooth base mold (transition style).

sparrow75

Reaction score
I did the underwater test, and no purple. But, it was cool cause you could really see the aqua tint and some aqua looking whisps in it. Hard to explain what it looks like under water, but it did give you a different perspective. Thanks for that tip! Here's a series of pictures all in natural light and one underwater. To me the aqua tint shows up best when held in indirect light against a darker background. Anyways, hope I'm not beating a dead horse., its just fun to talk about.

Bill, super nice examples of purple swirls! I assume those are your insulators!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger