Packer ref debacle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'm up in the middle of the night because I can't sleep. I can't sleep over a game. I know it's just a game and it doesn't really matter that much, but it feels like an injustice - which is sitting in my crop. My brain won't shut off. It happens to me when I feel I need to set something right. So, here I am at my favorite bottle site with you, my fellow collectors and online friends, hoping for a little perspective (and the chance to vent).

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Regarding the replacement refs.

Up until now, I've really had no problem with them. I don't know exactly why the NFL and the regular referees cannot come to terms but it is what it is. So, replacements come in. They've gotten some calls wrong and much ado has been made over it. But they have also gotten many calls right. This is a fast paced game and it's oftentimes hard to tell precisely what happened in real time. Calls are going to get missed. However, there is a mechanism for correcting controversial calls whereby plays can be reviewed. It is the challenge /review process. The NFL has excellent film crews usually from several angles (in part thanks to the late great Steve Sabol who just passed). The film has no stake in the outcome and doesn't lie. It simply shows / replays what it is that occurred.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
My biggest concern or problem with the replacemnt refs before tonight was the failure to control the tone of the game. Players are getting extra chippy with each other (in my opinion) and the refs need to nip that pattern. There is too much mayhem and fighting both during and after plays and it's not good. I think the replacements need to take a firmer hand and start throwing flags, issuing penalties until they either get more respect from the players or they simply force the players to knock it off for fear of hurting their team. In the current situation, this is neither here nor there. I was just trying to explain my pre-game biases . . .

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
So, the Packers play the Seahawks on Monday Night Football. Big game. National audience. It all comes down to the final play as time expires . . .

Wait. I know. I know. It shouldn't have come down to that. If either team plays better, executes one play here or there during the whole rest of the game, it won't come down to the very last play. A game shouldn't be decided as time expires. But there is a lot of parody in the NFL and sometimes it does happen that all of it rides on the very last wild hail mary throw into the endzone.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
So what happened?

The ball is tossed into the left side corner of the endzone. There appears to be two Seahawk receivers in the area. There are also about a half dozen Packer defenders. The ball is thrown fairly deep into the corner and it winds up that everybody is jumping up to catch it. As the ball approaches, the Seattle receiver shoves a Packer defender out of his way. This IS a penalty (offensive pass interference) but the refs either don't catch it or don't want to call it because it may adversely effect the outcome. Either way, one defender is gone clearing the front side path for the Seattle receiver. The ball goes high and a Packer (Jennings) reaches over the top and puts two hands on it, catching it at the apex of his upward leap. The Seattle receiver -just in front of Jennings - has one hand hooked up behind the ball. The other is swinging inward trying to rip the ball away from the Packer defender. Maybe the Seattle player can pull it away or muscle the ball loose and come away with it for the chance to win. However, he wasn't able to. The pass was intercepted.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
There are two refs standing nearby during the play. The refs, confused about exactly what happened, take one quick look at each other and then each makes a conflicting signal. One rules a stoppage of the clock for the change of possesion (meaning an interception). The other signals a touchdown. They do not confer, and the touchdown becomes the official ruling.

So, with the entire raucous stadium looking on, the play gets reviewed. In that review booth, the outcome will be decided. The film is studied and the objective truth can be seen.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Now I know there are some purists out there about truth who think there is no such thing as objective truth. But I disagree. You can indeed look at a tape and see exactly what happened when the angles are right, even when things are very close. For example, when a hitter in baseball is running to first base and gets called 'out', you can study the film to see if the call is correct. (Incidently, this play is not reviewable by MLB). Sometimes, even on film, it is too close to call. But sometimes you can clearly see that the ball beat the player (and the call was correct) or that the player got his foot on the bag with the ball still sailing over (and the call was wrong). There are objective realities which the tape will reveal.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
So, watching the replays on Monday night. I see the objective reality. The defender intercepted the ball. The Packers win a close game. I am not just being a partisan fan. If it really was a catch by Seattle, hats off to them, it should be ruled a touchdown, the Packers should properly lose a close game. But the tape was definitive, and what really happenened was an interception. No doubt about it.

As I'm watching the game and waiting, I feel re-assured by what I've seen. The Packers won. Then the official comes back and rules that the call stands. I was totally shocked. I have never seen a play mis-called when there was clear and obvious evidence to the contrary.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky