Hemingray Patented May 2 1893

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

optivo1981

Reaction score
I found an interesting insulator, it's a Hemingray and on the back has Patented May 2 1893. First things first, is there a RedBook for insulators? I checked the resources forum and didn't see anything, and just figured I'd check. The insulator has 3 levels which is really the only thing that stands out from most the other ones I've seen. I have some pics I'll post.

Thanks,

John

321BE78888EB4FD296FE036BEEEAAA40.jpg

Attachments

• 321BE78888EB4FD296FE036BEEEAAA40.jpg
    321BE78888EB4FD296FE036BEEEAAA40.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 124

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey John: That is a CD (Consolidated Design) 115 and though I can't quite make out the color it is probably Hemingray Blue or Aqua and valued at $5- $10 at most. If its true green its worth $50 +/-

There is indeed a VERY good, up-to-date Price Guide available but not called Red Book which is for Fruit Jars. The insulator book is called: Insulators - North American Glass Insulators - Price Guide. Imagine that ! You can get a copy direct from the Author / Editior Don Briel, P.O. Box 188, Providence, Utah 84332 email DonBriel@Comcast.net or call 435-753-5786 . Cost is $49 Post Paid. It's well worth the cost. There is also an online version available, both together for $79. Order the book and you'll get information about how to get the online version also. You can't get the online alone.

Hope that helps.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey John,

May I recommend: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Re%2Dsizing-a-photo/m-384935/tm.htm

Photos of this size, in my opinion, are too difficult to view.

FE_PR_100311_SaveRetire_SmallHous.jpg

BillinMo

Reaction score
Jim (Botlguy) is dead on with the ID. Price according to the latest PG is a little lower, 1-2 dollars for both aqua and blue aqua. It's not listed in Hemingray blue.

This is a telephone exchange, used on local phone lines. The two grooves help the line avoid "cross-talk" that occurs when two phone lines are perfectly parallel.

The patent date is for the drip points on the bottom of the insulator.

Also, you can see more about the insulator price guide here: http://www.insulatorpriceguide.com/ It's definitely a great resource and highly recommended.

optivo1981

Reaction score
Outstanding!!! Thanks again Jim! I shall add that one to the growing list of books I've bought recently. RedBook 10, Mouth-Blown Bottle - Kendrick, Bottle Makers and Their Marks, and The Illustrated Guide to Collecting Bottles. Found them all thanks to this forum. I was hesitant to just amazon up a topic and buy books at random. Especially considering these guides seem to go from 20-100s of dollars. I appreciate hearing from people experienced in the field as to what is really a good source of information.

Thanks,

John

RED Matthews

Reaction score
They are the good ones - I read the Mouth-Blown Bottles (cover to cover) 3 times. It is one of the best to explain what was done to make bottles.
I still have never found any book explanations for how they learned to form a parison shape that would give them good glass thickness in the entire bottle. Today this is all done with computer technology.
I still have not found any books describing how the Bristol Vases are formed.
RED Matthews

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis