Unkown Sale Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
I picked up this bottle today at a outdoor sale for $5.00. Does anyone know what this bottle held and the approximate time period it was produced. It has some nice whittle that caught my eye and was price right. Wierd protruding E pontil.

FDEF74362D2249669ABCECA9D510351B.jpg

Attachments

• FDEF74362D2249669ABCECA9D510351B.jpg
    FDEF74362D2249669ABCECA9D510351B.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 50

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That there is a French imported alcoholic and/or drug laced concoction.. I've found a few in 1910-20's dumps... empty, unfortunately.. [:-]

Plumbata

Reaction score
1900s-1910s in my experience. It contained the natural alkaloids contained in the Coca leaf; namely cocaine, and wine. The ethanol in the wine combines in the body with cocaine to form ethylcocaine; a stronger (more stimulating) and more dangerous form of cocaine, as far as i understand.

Even the pope at the time extolled the invigorating virtues of the beverage! [:D]

Good buy for 5 bucks.

JustGlass

Reaction score
Wow with alcohol being a depressent and cocaine being a simulant there must have been some up and down mood swings when drinking it. Hard to believe that it was legal to import something with that mixture even back in the early 1900's.

LC

Reaction score
I have always liked that bottle . I have one that is whittle marked quite heavily . I have seen a few of them go off on eBay for a good bit more than that so I would say you got a good buy at five bucks .

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Don't recall if it was the same company or not but there was one called Vin Mariani that was very popular in the 1890's and had testimonials from Emile Zola, Pres. McKinley, and the pope! I am thinking this might have been a copy cat imitator and if so, likely scarcer. I recall back in the day someone sent a full, unopened labeled bottle to the magazine High Times for a chemical analysis and it was stolen while in their posession. There was a rediculously huge reward for the return, but don't recall anything after that. Likely got "consumed" would be my guess........Pretty cool bottle and possibly a little earlier than toc. Just looked it up in "The Bottle Book" by Fike and he mentions a brief description of this bottle...."bottle manuf. ca. 1894-1900. (Wilson & Wilson, 1971)". Has a much lengthier one for Vin Mariani...."Vin Mariani or Mariani Coca Wine was a popular tonic and stimulant for the body, brain and nerves, composed of about 11% alcohol, 2 oz. coca leaves, and small portions of tannin, iron, salts and acids. The wine was consumed before or after meals or anytime as a cocktail or grog; it was purportedly useful in the prevention and treatment of contagious diseases, for influenza, nervousness, anemia, insomnia, impotence, melancholy, and stomach, throat and lung problems. Vin Mariani was introduced in Paris, by Angelo Francois Mariani in 1871, and officially listed in the French Pharmaceutical Codex in 1884. As a narcotic, its popularity is apparent, although early in the 20th century substitutes were used. In 1954 the name was changed to Tonique Mariani and it was still produced in 1963.(Helfand, 1980). The first advertising found in the US was in 1889." Jack

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown