natural glass color or SC amethyst?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURE-PINK-PURPLE-PUCE-CONE-INK-RAREST-OF-ALL-COLORS-/271071209448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d1a67e8

These folks, over the last month, have sold some of the most amazing colors of cone ink, for some of the highest money probably ever paid for simple cone inks. I've admired all their colors, but I question this one. They say it came out of the ground this color, which is why I raise the question of whether this is a natural, as blown, color, or if this is in fact sun color alteration by nature.

Opinions?

Jim G

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I would say it is manganese bleached glass that has been irradiated.
unless someone can prove it was that color when found (difficult)
or show us an original manf brochure which lists that color, it must be assumed to be originally clear.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
the problem is its a common form. I could buy one like that for a dollar and make it that color pretty easy.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Ordinarly I'd just shrug it off the same myself, except this guy is a genuine collector, who has been selling some first class colors of common cones for BIG money ($400 plus money), hence my question. I'm suspicious myself, despite he claim that it "came out of the ground that color" and that he then bought it in Albany 20 years ago. BTW, someone thinks it's right, as it went over $100 it's first day listed.

I'm inclined your way though, colored.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

the problem is its a common form. I could buy one like that for a dollar and make it that color pretty easy.

sandchip

Reaction score
May just be my computer, but it's got that pink, cranberry look that I've never seen in SCA bottles that I've found or that deep purple look in gro-lited bottles I've seen for sale. Who knows?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
If you know the seller and you trust them fine.
Problem is, if you ever go to sell it you are going to get the same skepticism.
on my screen I see what looks like a common bottle. Maybe it looks different in person.
What would have been very useful is if they photographed it next to an irradiated bottle (or maybe that would have had the opposite effect [;)])

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That could be the same answer, or is it the question? SCA is a natural turning so yes, it could be. Was it artificially produced like tumbling glass and calling it beach glass? I don't know.
What we call SCA now was called desert glass years back and many years of direct exposure to the sun such as the desert can turn that dark but it would be rare. The chances of a bottle sitting exposed for the years it would take without getting buried in sand drifts or whatever are slim. Some people used to put them on the roofs to speed the process but 1 or 2 years isn't enough to get that dark IMO.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
No, my question is SCA or glass batch as blown by the gaffer. They very distinctly claim it isn't a clear bottle altered by either nature or man. To me, it looks fairly SCA. I'd want to see a pick of it right out of the ground, covered with dirt before I was ready to plunk down what I suspect will be $500 or more for it, if the rest of his sales are any indication...

Actually, I've dug SCA myself, or rather, found it on top of an old dump, so I know the sun itself can cause this.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

That could be the same answer, or is it the question? SCA is a natural turning so yes, it could be. Was it artificially produced like tumbling glass and calling it beach glass? I don't know.
What we call SCA now was called desert glass years back and many years of direct exposure to the sun such as the desert can turn that dark but it would be rare. The chances of a bottle sitting exposed for the years it would take without getting buried in sand drifts or whatever are slim. Some people used to put them on the roofs to speed the process but 1 or 2 years isn't enough to get that dark IMO.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
No, my question is SCA or glass batch as blown by the gaffer. They very distinctly claim it isn't a clear bottle altered by either nature or man. To me, it looks fairly SCA. I'd want to see a pick of it right out of the ground, covered with dirt before I was ready to plunk down what I suspect will be $500 or more for it, if the rest of his sales are any indication...

Actually, I've dug SCA myself, or rather, found it on top of an old dump, so I know the sun itself can cause this.

Jim G
Sorry Jim, I was thinking this was from a more newbieish OP, I didn't even look. [:D] My answer would be that it is WAY more likely NOT the color of the gather.
Does that help?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
One thing though also. My monitor may differ. I forgot about something posted that was seen on everyone's other monitors as an amber swirl. On mine I was seeing more of a pale olive green. I guess I may not be the one to respond. [:(] < I have no idea what that is either. Shame maybe? [8|]
[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu