Charles Clark Charleston SC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Well I had quite a surprise. A good friend of mine went to the Memphis bottle show this past weekend, he set up at the show and asked if I wanted him to keep an eye out for anything and I asked if there was any good colored pontiled sodas to give me a call. Some of the southern examples can be quite hard to come by and being in Memphis you never know what may show up down there. He called me that morning and told me there was some stuff but alot that I already had, BUT there was a Charles Clark from Charleston that a guy had fo sale. I've always love the SC bottles and so many fantastic sodas came out and are known from Charleston. I have two different shades of green Clarks and have always loved those and they are usually nice & crude. I asked him what shade of green it was and he said its Blue. I said are you sure?! Yep, cobalt. I told him man that is an extremely rare color, in fact I have only seen one photo of a cobalt one. You know that feeling when you're heart starts racing? lol It's funny the whole time i'm talking to him i'm thinking its gonna be gone in no time. He told me the price and asked if I wanted him to pick it up for me... I couldn't wait! Now this particular friend of mine is a pontiled med collector and sodas isn't his area. He likes them but his focus is meds & cures so that's what he was looking for.

I was so glad he could get this rare bottle for me, as I wasn't able to make it to that show with work. He was on the phone with me and headed back over to the table where it was. As he was on the phone he said there was another guy there wanting to trade the seller some bottles for it. The seller said he'd rather sell it so the other guy passed and my buddy was able to get it for me. Man I was happy and almost missed it! You just don't see these in cobalt.

It's a beautiful shade of blue and has a large stretch bubble in the neck. Never cleaned and all original. You have to be careful with Charleston sodas as there have been many lately show up with replaced tops, especially showing up on ebay. Its got a couple flaws but I was so happy to get this guy. There's a scratch on the front along with a small ding with no glass missing. Most of the iron is gone but that doesn't bother me. [:)] Here are some photos with the other two that I have.

~Tim

From More Pop:

Charles Clark

1825 Charles Clark, grocer, 65 E. Bay

1829-1831 Charles Clark, grocer, south corner of East Bay and Tradd

1837-1838 Charles Clark, grocer, 19 East Bay

1840-1849 Charles Clark, grocer, 49 Bay, N. Tradd

1849 Gatchell & Co., E.M. Gatchell M.D., and Charles Clark druggist, 33 Market

1852 Charles Clark, druggist , 33 Market

1855-1859 Charles Clark, druggist, 33 Market, Res. 6 Anson

The following item was found in the Charleston Courier, Tuesday May 14th, 1850:

NOTICE: All persons having demands agaist the firm of E.M. Gatchell & Co. are requested to present them; and those indebted, are requested to make immediate payment to Charles Clark, surviving co-partner of E.M. Gatchell & Co.

The business will be continued by the subscriber, who feels grateful to his patrons for the liberal encouragement heretofore received and hopes to merit a continuance of the same.

Charles Clark

Soda water will be delivered as usual, at any part of the city, bottled fresh everyday. A good assortment of fresh drugs and medicines on hand. Soda water on draft throughout the year, at the old stand market opposite Anson N.B. Orders from the country promptly attended to.

100_2792_zpsd4f51923.jpg

100_2821_zps9fbe5bf1.jpg

100_2808_zpscdfb55ff.jpg

100_2805_zpse091fb29.jpg

100_2844_zps77c6bc03.jpg

A couple more inside on the shelf

100_2771_zpse23667f1.jpg

100_2775_zps79f5dbb6.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Looks great Tim, nice job networking...[;)]

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Excellent soda....you know that big bubble could have randomly showed up just anywhere...Isn't it nice it's in the front...great cobalt color....Everything worked out grand...congratulations...[:)]

sandchip

Reaction score
That's an awesome snag, Tim. I used to have one in deep yellowish green with an olive tone. Makes me wish I had it back.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I was really happy to get it. Yeah Mike, its in a great spot to display for sure. [:)]

That would be a great color Jimbo!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
They come in an array of colors but all are tough to find.

Here are a couple of photos that I found online that i'm hunting too!

This one is a nice olive green, and a beauty...

sodaCharlesClark_zps016b381b.jpg

Here's a killer in a color I haven't seen before, love this one!

SyHtnRRYS6ohz5qQ1tpvzA_zps754760f5.png

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp