Your Best Heartbreaker

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Heres a topic for all diggers that I havnt seen covered - and Im sure the privy diggers will win this one, but you never know - whats your best (or, worst) heart breaker? Mines a very, cherry-puce, Lancaster Glass Works flask that I dug pieces of last year, followed by a broken, deep blue green, iron pontiled Dr. Townsends. How about you folks?

Bixel

Reaction score
My biggest heartbreaker would be finding 3, count em, 3 broken Hamilton Glass Works wax sealers in 1 hole ( check your Red Book for those ones, i think like 250-300?). The best condition one had the base broken off, but the base was never recovered.....

deepwoods

Reaction score
Kyle - Ouch! I hope you got something decent out of that dig anyway. The day I found that Lancaster there was also pieces of a Cornucopia Urn flask, and some broken Saratogas. I think I looked heavanward at some point and said "Why do you mock me?" lol.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
I have two heartbreakers that I remember well.....

The first was digging all the pieces to a pontiled STODDARD Demijon (circa 1850's)....all 10 of them.

The second was digging a honey amber Log cabin bitters...otherwise known as a drakes plantation bitters.

I am certain there are more but those are two I can remember the best.

DF

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
the most vivid one was walking into a house during a house sale, and walking past a guy taking out a pontiled soda collection. Then i asked the lady how much she sold them for, then she told me 5 dollars. then i told her what they were worth. and then i left looking for the guy and he vanished. then i was left thinking. thinking. what if i got up sooner. i remember the blues and greens and oh man.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Don,

Welcome, you know you can post the pics here also. Saw them on the ebay board, Nice.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Back about 25 years ago in California, we pulled out an 8" Owl Drug Single Winged Square Colbalt Blue Medcine. Nice bottle back than it was worth $150 pluss. It is hard to find especailly in that size. When we took it out of the ground it was in one piece. However, 5 minutes latter, it was just sitting all alone, I looked at it and it was in four pieces. I figured the shock of coming out of the dirt broke it up. maybe the tempeture change had something to do with it.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
My biggest heartbreaker was a quart Cobalt USA Hosp. Dept. bottle. I've seen those go anywhere from $1,800.00 to $3,800.00 in near mint condition. In the same pit was a broken Gem Butter Jar 5 lbs. They are around $600.00-$700.00. Can't remember if me or Pitfinder dug the shards but we were both there and we both cried. It was however, a very good pit to us so I harbor no ill feelings to the Bottle Gods.[:D] Kelley

deepwoods

Reaction score
bottleboy - Ive had something similar happen a couple of times. Now, whenever I dig a decent bottle, I let it sit in the cool dirt and "acclimate" for about 5 minute or so. It seems to help.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Does that only happen when it's a certain temp. out, or all the time? Is there a certain depth it will/wont happen? Frostline?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger