Not sure where to post this about Digger Dave Cutler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've seen some pics but never met the guy. He looks like an FZ fan so I like and miss him already. (insert emoticon here 'cause I don't know if any are appropriate). Eric

tftfan

Reaction score
Sad news... Thanks for the post and pics.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss, he sounds like one heckuva guy. Regardless, his spirit and stories will live on and continue to enrich lives for many years to come. The ripples of positivity that he started with his life will continue fanning out and spreading goodness, in one way or form or another, until the end of time. That's what matters.

ORIGINAL: andy g

However, all of these finds paled in comparison to his best treasure hunting adventure. In 1996, Dave figured out that the old, brick-lined sewers of New York were being cleaned out and the scraped residue being dumped in storage bins until sent off for waste processing. Normally something you might avoid -- but not Dave, who managed to talk me and Scott Jordan into building small sifters and going through the mucky, stinky gravel.

Awesome. I had never heard of anyone doing this before, but a little while back had independently arrived at the idea and started exploring storm sewers with a folding shovel and small sieve and sifting the hydraulically sorted concentrates for coins and jewelry. Certainly not something I personally would avoid. [;)] Really kills your legs and back to be hunched in the pipes for too long though, and so far I've found far more brass marijuana hitter pipes than good old finds. Found 2 pipes in 1 single sifter load before. Must be a lot of potheads around here, hehe. [:D]

Got some leads on some good old brick sewers that I plan to search next. Even 1% of his/your haul would blow my mind. Super impressive, and an inspiration for me and the like-minded quest for sewer treasures. I had a feeling it was a good idea. [:)]

twowheelfan

Reaction score
you should read Botha's book Mongo. the story on dave is great! some other ones there as well are good.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
Andy has a link to the book in his post as well. definately a fun read.

timepeeks

Reaction score
Im sad to hear about the loss of such a good friend. It appears he had a very fortunate life, and deservedly so.

surfaceone

Reaction score
04_22A.jpg

Hello Andy,

Thanks for a wonderful tribute to your friend Dave. He sounds and looks like a guy I would have enjoyed. Your evocative portrait of the man, and friend behind some legendary adventures stirs the emotions.

I've always enjoyed your posts. Wish you would do more...

Thanks for this one.

alex-karras-mongo.jpg

Alex Karras wuz Mongo!

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
R.I.P. DAVE. I'VE EATEN IN THE EMPIRE DINER SEVERAL TIMES (NOW NAMED "THE HIGHLINER DINER").

4BBB858811DE4028A21F058E62AF7A24.jpg

Attachments

• 4BBB858811DE4028A21F058E62AF7A24.jpg
    4BBB858811DE4028A21F058E62AF7A24.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 104

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member