Purchased a Collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Asterx

Reaction score
Any thoughts on some of the earlier pieces and the barbers?

timepeeks

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: asterisk80

. ?
The orange -red with hinged lid is an nkwell, probably victorian era, is the hardware silver? no idea of maker. Is it more red than orange?
A5F76ACAD0394E66B0DCED1C8761E53C.jpg

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
No expert here, esp. on barber bottles but have been watching ebay recently and the ones that seem to sell better than others are those with pontil scars, nice color, (amethyst, cobalt,etc) and condition (paint missing, flaking, perfect, etc.) of design. Mary Gregory designs do especially well as there is a cross-over of collectors. Also condition of glass, of course is paramount. Stoppers seem to add value as many potential buyers are looking for an accessory to a bedroom dresser for that authentic Victorian look, (my primary reason for watching lately.) Also, any with label under glass or labeled with a company or product such as Witch Hazel, Cologne, etc. are better than simple designs. The flowers seem to be the most common design (other than plain.) Also, pontiled doesn't equate necessairily to age as with bottles in general as these were more a specialty item, hand made and given more attention than say the typical toss away barber bottle. Many were pontiled, like fancy table ware items well into the 70's and 80's, I have been told. Makes sense at any rate. I would do as I am and follow ebay for a week or so and see what they are going for and figure out value from there. Should get a decent average as there always seems to be a good selection from which to choose. I have seen some like yours selling in the $75-125 area. Pretty cool other bottles, btw. Am curious about the ladies leg bitters and if it is embossed? Hope this helps. Jack

Asterx

Reaction score
Timepeeks, the inkwell is very red through the thicker areas and red/orange in the thinner areas. No markings on the cap, so I don't know if it is silver or not

Asterx

Reaction score
Thanks jack, I have been following the barbers on the bay too but there are so many different varieties. the vaseline one, the grape decorated and the one with applied flowers seem out of the ordinary though. The ladies leg isn't embossed but it is very nice red/amber coloration and has some very long bubbles in the neck

tigue710

Reaction score
nice stuff in there, the first jug you posted is killer! Just a top notch example in scarce color and metallic pontil to boot! I'm drooling on that one... the second jug with a sheared lip is a Clevenger piece I believe.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
This is a good one. Not a saddle flask. It's an 18th century spa water bottle from the low countries / Belgium. Rare in good condition, and one of the earliest glass mineral water bottles you'll ever see. Not sure of value, but has to be a few hundred $$$.

ORIGINAL: asterisk80

. saddle flask with rigaree?

C4B2F18422EA489FB1B254913B785808.jpg

Asterx

Reaction score
Thanks for the info deepbluedigger, the neck and lip have a nice bluish hue i've never seen. looks to be caused from inconsistent heating or something.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado