How do I clean this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Found this pistol bottle, but is really hard to clean, since its weird shape. What is the best method to cleaning this with out using chemicals or going to a tumbler. Soap and water doesn't seem 2 be working.

1AD1B0E9CAA34756BB1CC728D5E1B0E6.jpg

Attachments

• 1AD1B0E9CAA34756BB1CC728D5E1B0E6.jpg
    1AD1B0E9CAA34756BB1CC728D5E1B0E6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 92

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
WELL, SINCE I LIVE ON AN ISLAND AND NEAR A BEACH...I WOULD USE BEACH SAND. FILL IT ABOUT A QUARTER OF THE WAY AND ADD JUST A LITTLE MORE WATER THAN THE SAND AND SHAKE IT WITH YOUR FINGER OVER THE MOUTH FOR A MINUTE OR TWO KEEPING AN EYE ON THE PROGRESS AS YOU GO. KINDA LIKE INTERNAL SAND BLASTING W/O THE PRESSURE. IT'S WORKED FOR ME IN SIMILAR SITUATIONS WHEN A BOTTLE BRUSH CAN'T REACH NOOKS AND CRANNIES.

VERY COOL BATTLE BTW. WHAT IS IT? AVON?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Colman fuel (white gas) When I get bottles with "gunk" in them I use that,it eats the bad stuff right out. Belive it or not I used it on my eagle when i found it. It had thick gressey gunk in it. As you can see it turned out beautiful [:D]

I am sure you will have more suggestions one is never enough[;)]

LC

Reaction score
Just don't light a match around that white gas while using it , it is highly flame-able . Or as they say , you may end up with a smoking gun lol .

chosi

Reaction score
Diggin Doc has the right idea about using sand, although I think small bits of copper like what is used in a tumbler is ideal, since copper is soft and won't scratch the glass. I've even heard of people using dried rice.

You can either mix in some soap and water, or even better, some barkeepers friend and water. Then just shake the bottle.

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
IN ADDITION TO THE BEACH SAND (WHICH IS FREE) ASIDE FROM WATER, I HAVE USED BLEACH OR LACQUER THINNER.....JUST NOT TOGETHER...OR AGAIN YOU MIGHT HAVE A SMOKIN' GUN. [&:]

2find4me

Reaction score
Thank you all for the good ideas, I will try every1 2 see which one works best. Digging Doc the bottle is actually marked AVOR not AVON.

hunting262

Reaction score
Stick a metal rod in it get all the dirt out and then use bb's to get the stuck on stuff out then rinse it.

PS: I have a ultrasonic cleaner that shakes all the dirt out.[;)]

druggistnut

Reaction score
The dollar store has Citrus cleaner for a buck or so.
It cleans all the tarry, sticky stuff out of bottles like a dream. Just let it sit a day or so.
For tough shapes (like that pistol) I use pipe cleaners, after soaking.
Bill

skynyrd1980

Reaction score
CLR WORKS WELL. AND BLEACH AND WATER DO OK ON THE ONES WITH JUST DIRT.CLR WORKS WONDERS ON THE TUFF GUNK .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1