1842 six pence

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
I thought you might like to see an 1842 sixpence and a 1920 three pence. I will post some 1800 pennys in the near future. These were found while detecting over the years.
Regards Kim

Ki20473.jpg

Attachments

• Ki20473.jpg
    Ki20473.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Ki20473.jpg
    Ki20473.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 151

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello kim, the last time i remember hearing anything about sixpence or three pence was in a nursury ryme that i cant quite remember, nice pieces, i am always on the look out for coins in my bottle hunts, back in the day when folks didnt have a bank to go to they some times buried there money, i am always hopeful i will find an old mason jar buried in the ground full of old coins, thank you for shareing your coins.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Tim, I visited the coin/stamp shop at Woodfords corners in Portland last year. The owner told a story about a man who would come in every month or so with a gold eagle for over a year. He finally asked the guy where he was getting the coins. The man explained that he found a coffee sized can full of them hanging within a wall of the old home he was renovating in Limerick!

maineahh62

Reaction score
hey norm, boy that would be a thrilling find even if it turned out to be not as valuable as hoped, the moments inbetween finding it and then seeing what it is are the best, a natural high one might say, i would love to stumble across a old cabin with the inside left as it was 100-200 years ago, a time capsule if you will, my mind goes nuts just trying to imagine what would be there.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Tim, our house here in Westbrook is c. 1830, while renavating, we've found letters in the walls from 1837. In one, a daughter who lives in Thorndike, gives an account of what she has done chore-wise. "We put new husks in the mattress, put up some nice apple perserves, sewed to shirts..." That along with discussion of people who died from 'the bloody croup', it's quite a look at daily life back then. On top of that we found a child's or small man's pillbox hat - hand sewn with leather brim. I'll send you some scans of the letter if you like and a pic of the hat. And Mike, if you're reading this, I haven't forgotten, I'll get you the same[&:]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky