Someone please stop this person!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
This activity bothers me 'cause I have a few really nice amethyst bottles I have personally dug and feel unwarranted doubt is cast upon my collection as a result. I agree they should be marked as 'purposely altered' but also know that people will do as they please. We can rant and rave till we're blue (purple?) in the face and it'll make no difference at all.

I'll just not try to sell any of mine.

Brian

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)] Hey Plummy. Do you have an answer to this question? Do nuked bottles go back eventually to there original color as time passes? cause I have been told that they do. Just curious. and if they do it would be one more reason not to nuke bottles[8D][8D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
He really is a great guy, and i can't fault him for having his personal property irradiated so he can sell them as value-added antiques to people who like decorating with such things.

He regularly gets crates of "common" bottles cheap from diggers and collectors and I believe he contracts to have them irradiated once he accumulates enough to make it worthwhile. He prefers to get cheap clear blob beers and the like, if I recall.

Stephen,

Well & truly said, sir. He is both upfront and stand up. I've enjoyed his posts for years, both here, and abroad.

He's got his own website that is very well done, though I can't translate most of it. [8D]

I think everyone who has commented most likely would recognize one of these as nuked from fifty yards, as would most semi-experienced bottle people. Dark Purple Glass is appealing to some people, and that is his market. Looks like he had a batch done for the holidays.

To be sure, I'm not a fan of Nuked bottles, but he's an honorable guy and a bottle scholar in his own right.

BMxBIxBG_Guitar-1.jpeg
1608 Guitar.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[:)] Hey Plummy. Do you have an answer to this question? Do nuked bottles go back eventually to there original color as time passes? cause I have been told that they do. Just curious. and if they do it would be one more reason not to nuke bottles[8D][8D]

They turn back and ride away in a pumpkin. That's what I heard [8D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think I will puke if someone nukes an obscurely rare local blob top I need and tries to sell it as a fancy decorative item for a decorated dollar.. whoever this member is, I ask them to consult with me before nuking New Jersey bottles..! The rest.. fry 'em at will..!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I'm of the crowd that says we shouldn't be doing this in the collecting community. Nuked bottles DO come up on the market as original color, and with some frequency. Moreover, it makes it harder and harder to figure out what is original blown color and what has been nuked. Looking at his list on ebay right now, I can say, sure, they are all nuked. He sells them that way, and the volume alone catches your eye. But piece them out within their individual areas of collection, with a false claim that you found it in a barn or attic that way and it's a rare color? Different story.

As a prime example of questionable colors, we saw a simple cone ink out of a collection of simply awesome colored cone inks go for over $500 not long ago, and it was an ink where there was much debate on this forum as to whether it was SCA or a natural, as blown color. When you start debating color vs value at that level, flooding the market with nuked bottles only serves to help muddy the waters, and make it more difficult to draw the line between what is original color and altered.

My two pennies on the subject.

Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I wonder what happens to a stoneware bottle when it gets nuked? They've got a nice one on there.
Sure, I wish it would stop but at least there is the disclosure of "has been irradiated to give it its beautiful purple color (an artificial process that turns antique clear glass in a beautiful deep amethyst/purple colored glass, it is about the equivalent of decades of glass overexposure to the ultra violet rays of the sun" or etc. Many sellers won't.
Is this horse dead yet?
[8|]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[8|] Just read an article by Dwayne Anthony of the National Insulator Assn. and they were experimenting on heating up insulators and the nuking process is apparently reversed by doing this. at least in some examples, problem being it takes apparently a lot of very high heat[:eek:][:eek:] so it wouldnt be very good for bottles. just hope no really good bottles get nuked........

timepeeks

Reaction score
I am a purist when it comes to anything old. If it is not being made anymore it IS a good old bottle. Unless it is damaged. I have nothing against repurposing parts and pieces of old damged items. I respect the age of a piece and mourn when one is lost. I think it is a same to destroy the old just to make a few bucks, especially when there is money to be made in preserving the old. Just my opinion.
Jodetta
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[8|] Just read an article by Dwayne Anthony of the National Insulator Assn. and they were experimenting on heating up insulators and the nuking process is apparently reversed by doing this. at least in some examples, problem being it takes apparently a lot of very high heat[:eek:][:eek:] so it wouldnt be very good for bottles. just hope no really good bottles get nuked........
just hope no really good bottles get nuked........

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I wonder what happens to a stoneware bottle when it gets nuked? They've got a nice one on there.
Sure, I wish it would stop but at least there is the disclosure of "has been irradiated to give it its beautiful purple color (an artificial process that turns antique clear glass in a beautiful deep amethyst/purple colored glass, it is about the equivalent of decades of glass overexposure to the ultra violet rays of the sun" or etc. Many sellers won't.
Is this horse dead yet?
[8|]

I think stoneware turns into modern concrete [8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu