TO TUMBLE OR TO TRIP ON ACID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
People you need to understand that acid is not good for you or any thing. ok so it will eat off barnicals or some dirt, But it will not take off the stain, trust me I know, below is a before pic, I'll post the after next

Mk25825.jpg

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
RE: TO TUMBLE OR TO TRIP ON ACID 2

HERE IS THE AFTER PIC.

Tr50566.jpg

Attachments

• Tr50566.jpg
    Tr50566.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 172

IRISH

Reaction score
Bit hard to tell what you are talking about there Bottle tumbler, I presume thats a before and after of a tumbled bottle ?
As for the acids, Acid can be any one of several hundred acidic chemicals, Hydrochloric Acid is VERY good at cleaning gunk off but won't touch "sickness" I presume that's what you are talking about ? Hydrochloric Acid is pretty safe to handle with a bit of care. HydroFluoric Acid on the other hand can if mixed with the right stuff clean and polish bottles well (I don't like the finish on them but that's another thing), Hydrofluoric Acid can also kill you very easley and very horribly.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Bottle Tumbler, the service you provide is great, as is the results,[:)] But as I think Shakesphere might have said "He dosts protesteth too much". Not ALL bottles are suited for tumbling, so there is a ligitimate application for acid dipping, brushing etc., don't you agree.[8|] You can't have ALL the business![:D] Keep up the good work.

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
I was talking about any acid. I (myself) do not think it's safe a to use, plus I dont know the far reaching effects it may have on health in general. Like eyes,breathing, skin contact. I guess if it works on removing the stuff from the ocean then it would be allright if it's outside and away from people who dont wear protective clothing.
And I'm not out to take any bodys business,I'm juist stating my point of view to cleaning bottles. When I was reading some of the posts about cleaning I was lead to believe that acid or listeren was the only best way to clean bottles. Well I'm not one to sit back and just agree with that. And dont take this and I'm the only one that is right. in my very first post I stated that if it works for you then thats good. But I have found that tumbling bottles and jars works best for me and when I see something work so good then I like to share it with everybody.
Yes there is a good application for dipping in acid. I use muriatic acid and water for insulators, it cleans off the tar and black gunk, so I'm open to using some acid some times. buit not for bottles.
please explain to me how Hydrochloric acid is mixed safly and used to clean stain and etching[8|] I have never used it and dont know.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Richard, I was just Razzing you![;)] It's just that I felt like a spectator at a tennis match, with everyone 'serving' their best shot for cleaning preferences back and forth. Both 'sides' seemed to be digging their heels in, set on not giving an inch to the other point of view. I agree with you in that anyone inexperienced should not mess around with acid; the potential for injury is too great. I think there was a lot of 'tongue and cheek' discussion about the Listerine. Let's face it, how can something that's safe for the most sensitive human tissues be compared to acid?[8|] I think comperable results to the Listerine are attained with bleach, vinegar, pumice hand cleaner..... But if you use the mint flavored Listerine the bottles will smell better.[:-]

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
I knew that the title would catch the attention of people. it was meant as a joke reffering to the past years, a long time ago[:D] to trip on acid..[8D] I was trying to get the new guys and gals to understand acid is not to be messed with, unless you know what your doing, and never around kids or pets.
I dont want all the business I cant take to much more. my tumbler has been running 24 / 7 for 3 years, Yes no lie 3 years straight, well to change the motor and thats it, but it just keeps going and going, just like the bunny.
I see there is a good bottle and crock auction in N.H this month on th 17th
rick

Pontiled

Reaction score
By the way, Rick, that's a super Petersburg bottle you tumbled! Running your tumbler 24/7 sounds familiar. We moved down to North Carolina (BIG mistake) from Virginia and we sold our tumbler. It will be replaced as soon as possible after we move back to good old Virginia. The old tumbler was always on except to switch tumbler barrels or change speed.

As for acid (Hydrochloric acid), I used it extensively to remove iron, calcium, and that type of stuff, but it DOES NOT remove stain/etching. It was used outside and away from other people and pets. It is not to be used by someone who isn't thoroughly familiar with it (I have a strong background in chemistry).

Keep those Virginia bottles coming out of the ground!

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
That petersburg bottle was sent ot me to clean. I wish I had dug it. it's a rear one so I'm told. I'm just so amazed when they come out of the tumbler. I can't get enough, I think I'm addicted[:D]

Pontiled

Reaction score
This kind of addiction is GOOD! Yes, the Petersburg bottle is a super bottle. I wish I had been able to keep all of the Virginia bottles I have had, but life goes on. I still have one super bottle from Virginia left in my collection (only the second bottle like it found so far) in many, many years.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis