Clover Pontil ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deenodean

Reaction score
I dug this black glass beer bottle, cup mold in June 2010. Cup molds were made from the late 1700's to 1860ish. It has what I read is a ' Clover Pontil ', where the excess glass left by the pontil looks like a piece of clover spice. Anyone ever heard of this term? The bottle leans like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, it has a very deep pontil scare with blueish color at the pontil left behind, it is very heavy in weight and extremely whittled. The imperfections can only be appreciated by holding it up to a light. Unfortunately the top was broke of, but I found it and glued it back on. I'd say it is a British made. Thanks for looking.

100_7432_zps70f08d61.jpg

100_7431_zps1174006c.jpg

100_7430_zpsbb842415.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
Hey Danny, nice bottle. I've been looking into the pontils on these black glass bottles and trying to close the debate on the re-fired pontil. What I have found is that the bottles were empontiled with the process that resulted in what we now call a sticky ball pontil. I believe the strange misshapen kick-ups in the base were the result of a tool being used to make the kick-up, prior to the pontil being attached.

A clover pontil is a metallic pontil mark. It has been attributed to Stoddard. It seems they started cutting grooves into the pontil rod to make it easier to detach the bottle from punty rod. This resulted in a few different strange metallic pontil marks, one that looks like a clover, or just a four piece mark, an 8 piece mark that looks like a star, and a few others.

surfaceone

Reaction score
A clover pontil is a metallic pontil mark. It has been attributed to Stoddard. It seems they started cutting grooves into the pontil rod to make it easier to detach the bottle from punty rod. This resulted in a few different strange metallic pontil marks, one that looks like a clover, or just a four piece mark, an 8 piece mark that looks like a star, and a few others.

Afternoon, Daniel & Matt,

I had never heard the term "cliover pontil" before, did a little looking, and saw nothing illuminating. I'm getting confuseder by the moment.

Could you guys, or anyone that's got some clover examples, please photo illustrate this...

400px-Britannica_Glass_Pontils_and_Blowing_Iron.png

"Fig. 16. — Pontils and Blowing Iron.

a, Puntee; b, spring puntee; c, blowing iron." From.

wk-DAISY.jpg

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
There is a four lobed pontil in this post but its not as apparent as the iron ones.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-290114/tm.htm

They are fairly uncommon. Some large gothic food bottles used them.

tigue710

Reaction score
They are most often seen on large Gothic pickles and some large meds. The link you've provided is to a modern piece Matt, I'm not sure what that thing is! Here is a picture of a Clover pontil, attributed to Stoddard. You can see as I traced in red the image of a clover, which is really just the Punty being divided into four sections, all part of one piece...

ADF6100A40C74409A9AFFFFF1EAB6018.jpg

Attachments

• ADF6100A40C74409A9AFFFFF1EAB6018.jpg
    ADF6100A40C74409A9AFFFFF1EAB6018.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 113

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Bill Lindsey calls them a quatrafoil pontil. I see them rarely on Dr Townsend Sarsaparilla bottles.
The one below I wonder about though. I'm thinking it was just a round pontil rod end that had multiple contacts due to the beveled bottom. Need a good photo of one of the big pickles. They illustrate it better.

quatrefoilpontil.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
I believe its just a round rod on the Townsend's Matt. I haven't been able to come up with any other pics of a Clover, It would be nice to figure out which glass house used them, besides Stoddard...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky