Old 5 gallon water delivery bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JoeBronx

Reaction score
I have found three 5 gallon glass water delivery service bottles. Unlike their contemporary counterparts, they have a narrower neck ending in an 1 1/8" opening. I estimate they've been under my house for over 50 years and have accumulated all manner of dirt
and gunk. The attached photo was taken after having filled the bottle with a heavy dishwashing soap and water solution, letting it set for a day, then using a coat hanger with a washcloth attached, to swab out the interior as best I could. Much of the dirt departed
when I drained and rinsed the bottle, but as you can see, much has remained. Any advice as to what I can do next to dislodge the remaining dirt would be greatly appreciated. At a variety of sites I read of using a white vinegar and water solution, using a dishwasher soap (Cascade), using rice or copper bb's, etc. Anything ring a bell here? Any proven methods? All and any suggestions appreciated.

Joe Viola

epackage

Reaction score
Let them soak for a few days in the vinegar solution, trying to use BB's or rice in such large jars is gonna take alot of both and will be a tough task indeed.... What do you plan on doing with them?

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum...Jim

LC

Reaction score
I have a five gallon bottle in the garage that had what looked like sheep dip in it . It was sort of sticky and had an unpleasant smell to it . I went to my local concrete business and asked to buy some sand from them . The just said go out and get a small bucket of it and be on your way . I did so and went home and filled the jar half full of sand and water . Put a cork in it , and laid it on its side on a carpeted floor and rolled it back and forth for about twenty minutes or so . The sand loosened the gook right up and the jar is completely clean inside . You can also buy sand by the bag or at least I am pretty sure you can . I believe it is bagged for purchase for a child's sandbox .

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: L C

I have a five gallon bottle in the garage that had what looked like sheep dip in it . It was sort of sticky and had an unpleasant smell to it . I went to my local concrete business and asked to buy some sand from them . The just said go out and get a small bucket of it and be on your way . I did so and went home and filled the jar half full of sand and water . Put a cork in it , and laid it on its side on a carpeted floor and rolled it back and forth for about twenty minutes or so . The sand loosened the gook right up and the jar is completely clean inside . You can also buy sand by the bag or at least I am pretty sure you can . I believe it is bagged for purchase for a child's sandbox .
Interesting idea Lou, better than trying to hold it up half full of BB's and shaking it...[8D]

JoeBronx

Reaction score
Thanks for your swift response. What is your recipe for the vinegar solution? How much vinegar in each gallon of water?
There's a shop in my neighborhood that will buy them IF they are clean. I believe they in install electrical wire and fill them with layers of colored sand then sell them as lamps. I've seen the bottles alone on line for up to $80 but I've never sold online so I'm hesitant about trying to do that. IE: Wouldn't know how to pack them for shipping. Thanks very much for your help.

Joe Viola

epackage

Reaction score
I'd add a gallon or two of white vinegar and let it sit a few days, no need to cut it

JoeBronx

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'll do it and let you know how it works. This is truly a wonderful forum!

Joe Viola

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown