fiending to dig - Lansing, MI and surrounding areas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been a member of this forum for a few months but haven't posted because I wasn't sure where to start. My grandpa used to privy dig, dump dig and river walk in search of antique bottles, he even had an article about him in the Flint Journal before I was born (I've attached one of the pictures). He passed away when I was 7. My grandmother passed away this year and my mom asked me to go river walking with her one day in her hometown after a particularly bad day of sorting her parents possessions for auction (grandma wanted it that way).

I stepped into the river and found a Dr. Kilmer's Swam Root bottle and a cracked Hinds Honey and Almond, and I've been addicted ever since. I've since explored areas around St. Johns, Lansing and Laingsburg but haven't had much luck with anything too old. Been stuck in the 1940's-60's I guess (my grandpa would be ashamed, haha). My mom doesn't know much about all of this either as she was just a child when my grandfather was doing his treasure hunting, before age and bad health made it so he could no longer go.

I am a student at MSU and I was elated to find out I have free access to Sanborn maps through the school for what it's worth to those of you looking to dig privies. I'll bust my ass to help you dig a privy, or a dump, I just don't know where to start to do it on my own I guess. I have multiple T-handles (my dad owns an excavating business), lots of buckets, have assorted tools and am willing to get whatever I need to help anybody who wants the help out! I'm also very meticulous and anal retentive when it comes to excavating treasure (even if it's only a 60's Ball Mason), so you can rest assured I'm not a careless fool.

And, hell, I guess even if you don't want the help I'd love to have a friend on here to talk to!

Hope you are well!

8372E1FBC204405BBE38025680EB2E6C.jpg

Attachments

• 8372E1FBC204405BBE38025680EB2E6C.jpg
    8372E1FBC204405BBE38025680EB2E6C.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 91

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Hey whats up Ashely,Welcome

Cool picture of your Grand pop and his bottles. MY Grand-mom was the one I have to thank for my love of old bottle. She had an antique store in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania. I was 15 when I dug my first dump with her.I am 53 now and still digging[:)]

The swamp root is a cool bottle to find for new digger. The heavy embossing will get you hooked for sure.[:D]

I am in Allentown Pa, kind of far to do a dig with ya[:D] but I am sure someone on this wonderful bottle forum can help you in someway.

bostaurus

Reaction score
What a wonderful picture of your grandpa!
I am in the same boat as you...I have places to explore but know idea how to find the privies.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! First post to this forum and I already love it! Everybody here is so nice! :]

I have a little bit of an idea on how to find them, just don't really want to go it alone, or worse, make a mistake and tear up somebody's yard only to find I was completely off! I had one of those moments riverwalking using a T-handle to prod the riverbed... I hit something I was POSITIVE was a bottle, spent an hour fighting against sand filling in the meager hole, only to pull out... A rock! I thought for sure it sounded like metal on glass or felt like it. I dunno. *sigh* Newbie problems. lol

I'd just like to go with someone experienced once to see what it's like, get the hang of it, and hey, maybe if they like me I'd be more than willing to be a bottle digging buddy! :D I have a lot of people that want to go with me but I'm sitting here like "hey, it'll be sort of like the blind leading the blind" as I know a little bit, and they know nothing. I usually find SOMETHING but it's never very old - still plenty exciting though! And I'm sure to my friends who didn't even know this existed as a hobby they might crap their pants. But I guess finding a Dr. Kilmer's my first time out gave me some hiiiiiiighhhhh hopes... Or something like that. [8D]

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
you have several people close to you including myself (nic meyer) bill heatley and brian m. if you can get to the bay city/ saginaw area we have digs a plenty. the best way to learn is to watch and get hands on.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Ashley,
I occasionally dig the Lansing/St John/Ovid areas. I'd be happy to have you along. There are a couple of diggers closer to you, that I can introduce you to, at the March bottle show in West Flint (safe area).
What we can do here is to collaborate on digging spots ( I have access to all the Sanborn's, too) and you can do drive-bys to see how the location looks. It's an hour drive for me, so we could just about set up a dig that way...
If you walk the river, pay close attention on the south side, below the bridge, for Lansing Mineral water bottles. They come in three different colors, with aqua being the hardest to find.
I vaguely remember that article about your grandfather. What was his name?
Keep in touch,
Bill

Reaction score
Ah! Thank you so much everybody for making me feel so welcome here! Saginaw/Bay City/Flint are all feasible areas for me. I probably won't be able to make the venture as frequently as I would like (if I had my way I would be digging every weekend) being that I'm a broke college student and gas prices suck. But I would definitely love to come out with you guys as much as I can swing it financially, or as much as you guys can handle me! [sm=lol.gif]

I would love to meet you at the March bottle show, Bill! I had every intent on going to the one in Royal Oak last weekend but my mom wasn't able to go with me and I'm more cautious about journeying out that way alone than I was a few years ago! [sm=rolleyes.gif]

I haven't walked the Grand River yet, I'm scared about coming out with extra appendages (just kidding). I have friends with kayaks and waders that they would let me borrow sooo... I'm thinkin' that's a go as soon as it's warm enough again. I have confined my riverwalking thus far to smaller towns (Laingsburg (which... I thought I might die, really quarry river botton), and Byron areas). Been doing a lot of research trying to find out the oldest towns in Michigan that still maintain that small town vibe! Different rivers kinda scare me too because of sink holes and all that stuff. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

My grandpa's name was Lawrence "Killer" Kelley. I think the article ran in the early 80's... I want to say 83. I think my mom has a copy of the article at home (tried finding it online with no luck). He was so cool, I wish I could have known him in my adult life.

What do you guys do in the winter? Do you still dig? I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I can't dig something this winter! [:(]

Have a great day!
Ashley

druggistnut

Reaction score
as much as you guys can handle me!

If I can handle Nic and Tom, you'd be a breeze. lol

>the March bottle show>

It's always the 3rd Sunday in March, mark your calendar now. Plan to spend the entire day, meeting people and learning.

>Maybe I'm just paranoid? <

No, there are sinkholes. You might get a ski vest to wear if you are walking unfamiliar water. It's as good as a seat belt, I'd say. That area near downtown Byron is a good one, a lot of pontilled bottles came out of the hill.

>My grandpa's name was Lawrence "Killer" Kelley.<

I will ask about him at the December club meeting. I bet some of the older club members knew him. If so, you might get some good stories about your grandfather from them. :>)

>What do you guys do in the winter? Do you still dig? I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I can't dig something this winter<

Everyone on this site, in the northern states, can identify with that statement.
Yes, I dig all winter. We mark privy pits so we can pick axe them open later, if the temps go low. Last winter was pretty mild. We also dig dumps all winter. You have to cover your hole with a pallet and tarp, or something comparable. The hole stays diggable, then.

Do you know how to send PM's or emails on here? I prefer to keep most of my digging under wraps, if you will. I know of a number of people who prowl this site, looking to cash in on dig sites. The less said on here about locations, etc..., the better off we are.
Bill

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
This weekend, specifically Saturday, I will be digging in Bay City and i think Bill has plans of joining. He can give you details via email or p.m. as I already have spots probed and ready to go and id rather not reveal too much. In this particular case, if you can come up, you can learn how we use the maps to their full potential as well as how to get accurate measurements using the maps and google earth together. If you can make it, be ready for a workout. we do a-lot of probing and a-lot of digging.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora