Glass Insulator: CD 200 - No. 2 Transposition

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Brains

for $1 that's pretty good- no collectors will sell you one for that much.

Also, in case you wanted to know, and even if you didn't, it's a brookfield produced piece. Judging by the embossing style, colour, the way the inner skirt is molded, and how the dome looks, i'd say it's from around...ohhh, 1910-1915.
(information deemed reliable by me for me only)

novelty glass also produced this style with a star embossed on it- they show up in a pretty blue colour and sometimes "crazy green".
I believe the star ones are older.

Brookfield also produced insulators with a star (same star as the novelty produced insulators- brookfield and novelty both made insulators for whatever company it was that wanted a star on their insulators) on them- if you find a brookfield produced cd-200 with a star on it don't tell anyone.
thank you for the info.. I assumed maybe Brookfeild made it going on a very uneducated guess that the aqua colour was very close to brookfeild's aqua . I know very lil about insulators. I would like to get a book but they are so pricey an I can't afford one. why did you say this? "if you find a brookfield produced cd-200 with a star on it don't tell anyone. "

Brains

Reaction score
'cause it would be very rare- if you find something rare you're supposed to hoard it and not let anyone know eh? ;) Here's an example: Brookfield and novelty both produced cd-112's with a star on them- the brookfields tend to be aqua or olive green (i've had the good fortune to own two olive ambers...ok one olive amber and a very olive green one) and the novelty's tent to be lighter, brighter colours (blue's are common, and i found around 5 pretty light green ones around 2 years ago). To find a brookfield made 112 in a novelty colour (say.... chartreuse, or 100% blue blue) would be a bit uncommon.

Colour is a good way to tell if it's a brookfield- often the colour and glass quality go hand in hand in a brookfield, if you ask me. While not too different from regular ol' aqua, that's totally brookfield's aqua.

Ever seen the spec-true colour referencing tool? It uses little plastic slides that are the colours found on insulators... or more so the colours the price guide says certain insulators show up in so if you can't tell what colour your insulator is you see if it matches one of the slides (then you put the appropriate price tag on it).
It's a joke- there's too much variance in the colour of insulators for the slides to keep up with. The result is people not being able to match up aqua slides with aqua insulators, then they want to know if their hemingray 12 is unlisted because an aqua prismic embossed one looks different from a sort of green-aqua "patented" hemingray 12.
That's somehow relevant.

Looking at the colour, if you can figure who made it you might be able to tell when it was made too. Brookfield went out of business in 1921- in 1916 the B's and the crude glass quality started showing up (i believe caused by a lack of skilled labor caused by the war).
Crebs made it up until around 1900 i think- after that came the lighter coloured "brookfield New York"s, a little later on the colour started to shift towards your typical brookfield aqua's and greens, then the "New York" got dropped....then the dreaded B's happened.

Books are nice- i got everything i know from the internet. The crown jewels archive has tons of information, and i believe on the insulators.info homepage they've added a lot of new tools to help people find more info on stuff. NIA.org is also pretty helpful

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese