Drake's Plantation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: druggistnut

What's the story on those two lids. the "ELLENVILLE(?) GLASS WORKS" and the cobalt with the STAR?

Jim,
If I am right, those are the bases to two bottles.
Bill
O.K. Bill, that makes sence, that's what I get for ass-u-me ing, but they sure look like Fruit Jar glass inserts from that angle.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

ORIGINAL: druggistnut

What's the story on those two lids. the "ELLENVILLE(?) GLASS WORKS" and the cobalt with the STAR?

Jim,
If I am right, those are the bases to two bottles.
Bill
O.K. Bill, that makes sence, that's what I get for ass-u-me ing, but they sure look like Fruit Jar glass inserts from that angle.

Hey Jim & Bill,

Bill's got it right, they're both bases. That was a pit with near totally busted bottles. I'd never seen an Ellenville Glass Works before, and the double struck blue star was kinda nice, woulda been a nice colored Drake's... I kept them for the juju factor, hoping all the while, that the next spot might yield intact examples. So far it hasn't worked...[8D]

Here's an interesting 1889 NY Times article about the new British "machinery" at Ellenville.

Rory was selling an intact example a while back.

Ellensville.jpg

"Ellenville Glass Company | Ellenville Glass Works (Ellenville, New York) The Ellenville Glass Company was organized in 1836 by a group of glass makers from Coventry and Willington, Connecticut, headed by Jasper Gilbert. The site was on Sandbergh Creek, where the New York, Ontario & Western station now stands, and in October, 1837, they began to make bottles, carboys and demijohns, using for fuel as much as ten thousand cords of hard wood a year from nearby forest land which they purchased. They had a company store on Canal Street. Ellenville bottles came to be in common use throughout the country and business flourished until the Civil War, which affected them adversely, so that in 1866 a new company was organized and incorporated, the Ellenville Glass Works, which took over the lands and factories of the old concern.

In 1869 this was said to be the largest establishment of its kind in the United States, giving employment to about 540 persons, including many women and children, who covered the bottles with a basket work of willow twigs raised on the company’s Willow Lot. In 1871 the glass works covered twelve acres of ground and had an outlet store in New York City, but was knocked out by the depression of 1873, foreclosed and, in 1882, its property was finally sold to Charles A. Edwards. A new company, the Ellenville Glass Factory, was organized, in which many of the glass blowers bought shares. They made green and amber glassware, flasks, wine and beer bottles and one and five-gallon demijohns. In 1886 they started making white glass for insulators and fruit jars, with silica ground from Shawangunk Creek. A huge stone bowl used for grinding the rock now forms the base of a fountain set up by the railroad company.

On November 20, 1886, a strike promoted by the Knights of Labor for higher wages and the elimination of apprentices was partially successful and on December 24 the strikers resumed their work. However, business declined and in spite of heroic efforts by the trustees, ended in 1896 by foreclosure. 
Although the chief product of the various factories was bottles, paper weights and ornamental objects were also made. Mrs. Roy W. Ball, of Ellenville, has about twenty-five rare pieces of great interest to old glass collectors." Thanks to Ferd.

10706347_1_x.jpg
From.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Penn Digger.....thank you for the compliment....I have been blessed with a golden shovel....may your experiences exceed mine.

sem_yeto

Reaction score
Mike,
Your stories are the best ! Keep'em comin !! All the little nuances you mention, ring so true when it comes to years and years of "bottle quests" !! I can definetly relate.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
sem_yeto

Thank you sir......happy holidays to you & yours.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown