A RARE ENGLISH BOOT!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Got this one off ebay a few weeks back, and indeed it travelled back over the big pond to it's homeland. At first sight it looks like an aqua version of the classic German "Boot" bottle, those slightly weird rugby ball (or even American football)...or for Family Guy fans "Stewie face-shaped", c1740/50, BUT this is a super rare English dark aqua version of the same form, cross hinge molded with large sand pontil and the classic c1830/40 English utility lip. Very pleased to get this and cheaply....But then we can't all know about everything so it has to happen sometimes..:):):) Only seen one of these before.
The shape is so exactly like the German boot that it leads me to believe that this shape was associated or had become associated with a particular wine, German probably (because most of the German ones seemd to be for export only- they are rarely found IN Germany) so this was an attempt to make an English version for which to sell the same wine....
Whatever, it is superbly crude and delightful, heavily whittled, and I guess won't last long....!
earlyglass

P1120343.jpg

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
forgot to add...sorry, I meant to include a comparison shot with the German sort...will try and do that asap....if people are interested.
earlyglass

epackage

Reaction score
Doesn't look aqua in the pics, looks very green to me, nice fins EG...

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
...erm yes, I guess it is really quite a green colour, I'm just used to seeing that as the classic dark aqua/limey olive green that English utilities often are of the very early19th C....rather than the more normal and true "aqua" (which over here is often bluey) of late Victorian standard items.
One reason why I like items from this period, they are often distinctly crude and therefore attractive and rustic. This one shows various swirls and foreign bodies as well as the usual bubbles and tears, and of course excellent whittled surface.
earlyglass

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Here's a recent German version for comparison, much earlier (c1740/50), rare enough, but nothing like so rare as the English..

P1090028-1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp