Hope this is suitably Hostoric?...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
This is I think the last sealed octagonal to pass through my hands last year, and still one of my favourites, love it's iridescence, and the provenance is perfect!

P1090246.jpg

earlyglass

LC

Reaction score
Crude looking bottle , thanks for posting it .

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again Mark; I would like to know the lettering - I couldn't be sure of all the words.
I really like your bottle definitions and showings. Some send me looking for definition, like "cross hinge mold" ???
RED Mathews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hope this is suitably Hostoric?..
Yes Mark, it sure is!
It's not a website but this place is really confusing the hell out of me now. I'll go with the flow and ask the same as Red now. What is it exactly? That seal is great but I cant read it either.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yes sorry guys, the seal reads "COLLETT/AND/FAULKNER/BATH". I've actually lost the research I did on it which came up with the dates etc, but they were wine and spirit merchants in the middle to late 18thC.

The crosshinge mold term? I guess you are referring to the English boot in my other post on here which is molded, in two halves, where these earlier molds encased the complete bottle as such, including the base, so you get a mold line running across the base. Later two piece molds however essentially had just the sides which came together sliding over a separate base section, so you don't get a mold line on the base. Hope you get what I mean?

Thanks for the kind comments.

earlyglass

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to say, I love the placename too. Bath is a tremendously historic town, originally popularised by the Romans and named after the baths they made there making use of the mineral springs etc naturally rising in the area. This carried on through to the 18th and early 19th C's (check out Jane Austens novels for genuine descriptions) and posh families would "take the waters" for their health, staying in Bath and having a great time with social entertainments, theatres, balls tours etc etc. Very evocative.
earlyglass

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The Historic Glass name of this forum section is a tribute to Bill Lindsey's website http://www.sha.org/bottle/
In the past people would post things here they wanted him to see.

Bath is a neat town , I went through there years ago.
I like the river bridge with the shops along it..

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
So it's not Bath, Maine? [:D][:D] I figured someone used it before then.
Anyway, no worries on the category, just getting crazy. I had a not so great week.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18