1 of a kind bottle!! is it true??? or myth???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
I like to know everybody opinion about 1 of a kind bottle.
a. it's a myth as myth as Roman goddess.
b. it's a truth as truth as sunrise.

my personal opinion THERE IS NO SUCH THING it's simply a myth like Aphrodite, Artemis, Hera, Hestia.
well what about you....

NyDigger1

Reaction score
Its the truth, there are recorded examples of one of a kind bottles. This is considering that there is one known example. If thats the case I own about 15 nyc blobs that arent recorded, or that there arent any other known examples that exist. It could change when someone finds another one.

sandchip

Reaction score
No, I don't believe in a one-of-a-kind bottle, unless it's a whimsey of a mold-blown bottle. Nobody had an expensive iron mold made to blow one bottle. Now sure, there are plenty of instances where there is only one known example. I guess it depends on which you're talking about. But then, I guess all hand-blown bottles, especially the early ones, are one-of-a-kind, like fingerprints. The bubbles, applied tops, necks, whittle effect, impression, etc. are never the same from one to another.

LC

Reaction score
My thoughts when coming up with a bottle I have never seen before is if there is on the has to be more .

botlguy

Reaction score
I say All freeblown bottles are truly "1 of a kind". No two are EXACTLY the same, only, perhaps, VERY similar.

Any molded bottle should not be a true "1 of a kind" but they can be by virtue of color or some other anomoly. Take the example of a DRAKE'S PLANTATION BITTERS. Very common bottle. One was blown in the same mold as many, many others but the gaffer removed it from the mold and blew into it again making it an Anomoly, a "One of a Kind" bulbous shape. Another example is the Cobalt Blue Fish Bitters. One known, glass workers playing around at the end of the day or on a break. They used the same mold as others were blown in but not using Cobalt colored glass. One of a Kind? Yes and no. It just depends on how you want to look at it. Even if all were blown in Amber / Brown glass, no two would be EXACTLY the same color under close scientific examination.

If, as mentioned by Mike, NyDigger1, there is only 1 "known" example of an otherwise mold blown typical type bottle, I would not pay big bucks assuming that no more will be found. Many collectors have made that mistake.

I know this really doesn't answer your question but in my opinion there is no definitive answer. There are too many qualifications necessary to be definitive. I could go on and on, I really enjoy such discussions.

LC

Reaction score
I guess there are two ways of looking at . My thoughts leaned toward the issue brand name . If the glass blower blew more than one of the same then it is not one of a kind . Then too no bottle would ever be exactly the same if free blown .

epackage

Reaction score
If you ever see another one of these in this color let me know, it's an "ONLY KNOWN" example, I'm hoping it is not a 'One of a Kind'. I doubt there's a bottle this RED out there....

5125C329E7314200A6E80F9FD28D5795.jpg

Attachments

• 5125C329E7314200A6E80F9FD28D5795.jpg
    5125C329E7314200A6E80F9FD28D5795.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 75

surfaceone

Reaction score
my personal opinion THERE IS NO SUCH THING it's simply a myth like Aphrodite, Artemis, Hera, Hestia.
well what about you....

Hey Leonard,

What are you saying about Aphrodite, now...

botticelli_birth_of_venus.gif

I always believed in beauty...

360px-The_Birth_of_Venus_by_William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_(1879).jpg

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I would pay big bucks for an only 1 known blob and I have in the past. Never regretted it because no others have popped up in the past 4 years these being the examples, and I still have other nyc collectors hound me for these (some I paid alot, not all but these are the one of a kind until another is found examples):

5429718_orig.jpg

7890648_orig.jpg

4776702_orig.jpg

5940394_orig.jpg

9833391_orig.jpg

5058608_orig.jpg

2494183_orig.jpg

5135285_orig.jpg

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I may add the the eppig bottles exist and are scarce but out there, but this is the only known recorded example of this type of slug plate in this color.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky