Nominee for Picker of the Year

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
Hey Bottle Nuts, I had business at the bank one Friday morning a few weeks back. On my way I pass through a huge trailer park that had an Estate Sale sign at the gated entrance. Usually an Estate Sale there means ugly 70's furniture, old kitchenware, smelly old clothes and shoes. Maybe a decent tool if you are lucky. This one had an added table of depression and carnival glass all neatly described and priced at retail by the Estate Sale outfit. As I circle the kitchen full of useless crap I noticed an amber colored flask in the kitchen upper utility cabinet. It said "Union" on one side and had a cool eagle on the other side. I do period re-enacting and have a couple reproduction bottles as props but nothing like this. I figured it was a reproduction but hey at $6 I couldn't turn it down. So I bought it and tossed it in the car and headed to work. When I got home I did some basic research online and realized it is likely real. Oh Yeah [:D] but it gets better. Sitting next to the amber Union flask was an ugly green girly looking thing which I pasted on. Now realizing that the amber flask was real I couldn't sleep all night until the Estate Sale opened again Saturday morning. I returned and anxiously went to the cabinet ... not there. I almost walked out but thought maybe they moved it. So I went around one more time and realized I was looking in the wrong cabinet. It was still there. I grabbed it and held tight. As I was heading out the door an Estate Sale company employee said something about her and her sister thinking about buying it. She pointed out that it has a minor chip in the iron pontil on the bottom. Sorry, mine now! The flask was marked 3$ but being as it was Saturday and 25 percent off day I paid $2.64 for it. This is what I bought for total of $8.64:

5EB284BADCCF49CA977F0959BCBBEC7D.jpg

Attachments

• 5EB284BADCCF49CA977F0959BCBBEC7D.jpg
    5EB284BADCCF49CA977F0959BCBBEC7D.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 71

rvcdigger

Reaction score
excellent. what a great feeling right? i bet your still pumped. ive been in similar situations with various good items...the feeling will fade a little but keep going. you will find many more with a twist like this. this way when you tell the story 10 years from now, you can add other stories too. congrats on the epic win.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Most excellent finds. I go to estate sales and find ugly 70's furniture, old kitchenware, smelly old clothes and shoes. Some day persistence will pay off. I'm glad it did for you.
I like the sheet as a light diffuser by the way. It gives me some ideas. I'm still learning how to shoot bottles indoors.

Good luck on your next find.

Scott

Penn Digger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

there is a picker of the year award???

Real nice scores Mayhem!

Matt - Does seem like a bit of a vane post for a newbie on here to create an award and then nominate themself!?

PD

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi