Newbie to insulators...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hello,

Don't really collect these but over the years, I've found a few while digging. Like these 4 here. Just curious if someone can tell me anything about them. I know I've a few more but they're scattered amongst the boxes of bottles. Thanks.

Brian

pic 1

12825E55E7224007903CDBBD96BFE45E.jpg

Attachments

• 12825E55E7224007903CDBBD96BFE45E.jpg
    12825E55E7224007903CDBBD96BFE45E.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 95

BillinMo

Reaction score
Hi Brian - welcome to the insulator subforum. As Jim said, your insulators aren't earth-shattering but insulators are fun to collect even if you don’t spend big bucks or find something worth enormous amounts.

Here's some basic info... Left to right:

CD 129 carrier insulator. These were used in high-frequency long-distance phone lines and to some degree local lines as well. They’re a fairly recent development (1950s to 1970s). I think yours is an Armstrong? That would put it in the late 1950s-1969 or so, made in Millville, New Jersey.

CD 152. Does yours have a diamond on it? That makes it much better than the common Hemingray 40. A diamond in this style is listed in the book at 5-10 dollars. This style was the Western Union standard from 1911-1921 or so. I’m not familiar with WU’s history in Canada or what other competitors it may have had there, so date range may be a bit different. Diamond Glass Co had plants in several locations so I’m not sure where this one was made. Maybe Kyle (Bixel) or Barrett (Sergio Wilkins) or one of the other Canadian collectors can give more details.

CD 108 Whitall Tatum 9. This is a telephone pony, used on local phone distribution lines. This is the taller version made in the 1920s. Later on W-T went to a more compact version, the CD 107. Most bottle collectors know Whitall Tatum as a glass maker that produced bottles for a long time in Millville, New Jersey. They made insulators from around 1922-1938, when Armstrong bought them out.

CD 203 TW type telephone transposition. This style originated with Armstrong in the 1940s and Hemingray produced a copy as their number 56, and Kerr continued production after they bought out Armstrong in 1969. I can’t see the embossing in your photo so I’m not sure which one it might be. These were used on long-distance phone lines from the 1940s up through the 1970s.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

bne74honda

Reaction score
BillnMo,

Thanks for all that info! I didn't think these had any great value but I like the colours and shapes and wanted to know something about them.

The CD 152 does have a diamond on one side - I like that colour. As I mentioned, I'm sure I have more somewhere so I'll post more pics as I find 'em.

Thanks again for all the info!

Brian

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
The diamond-marked piece in the blue colour is a bit of a tougher piece. It is made by the Diamond-Flint Glass Company, though to be honest I don't know enough about the company's history to tell you exactly which factory location produced that piece. Regardless, the blue colour that yours is in is among the most difficult colour to find in that style. Because it's a newer insulator, and what collectors consider to be a "boring" style, it still doesn't command a lot of value. I've sold examples in that colour for about $20.00 before, but I have also seen a few available to be purchased for about $3 or $4, because most collectors have no interest and they don't sell readily.
Still! A good beginning collection. Keep an eye out while you're out and about, and you really never know what will turn up! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis