Finds from Auburn show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello to all - this is an interesting sideline to producing glass jars - but then everyone likes to play around with things.
That blob of the jar is obviously the glass removed from the blank (or parison mold) before it was formed with the parison plunger. I can’t imagine how they got it, except some one wanted it, so they caught the delivered blob of glass from the delivery chute of the delivery system. They must have inserted the coloring in the feeder for-hearth just before the shearing from the orifice ring. It would be part of the story for these colored jars – this blob of a gob is something anyone would like to have, that knew how tricky the objective coloring trick had to be. It is hot up there over the forehearth. I know because I have been there when I was working on orifice rings. RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
The coloring agents were indeed added at exactly the time you described Red. I was there. They used a long handled ladel type affair to drop the chemicals / elements right where that taffy like glass was swirling down the orfice / hole just like water out of a bathtub. The tank was almost empty, they were preparing for a tank tear down and rebuild.

I was surprised that Leanna posted my note to her in it's entirety including my name and location with the description for the auction but I have no problem with that, I gave her permission to include the information. I feel honored to have been present at these jars making.

Leanna

Reaction score
Hello Red,

Thank you for all of the information. I was hoping that, with your permission I might be able to quote your message on my eBay listing in the future? My plan is to auction all the jars, ending with one final, incredible auction that will contain a blue streaked jar and the blue streaked blob as a set. I want to provide as much information as possible about the blob, I have a feeling that it's going to be very profitable.

Jim, if I may quote your reply to Red's message as well?

Than you both for your time and valuable information.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Leonna You may certainly use my description in your sale promotion descriptions, I hope it all works out well and in a few grand of dollars. It is sad that the whole group can’t be left in the box with the whole story displayed in a museum. I have six items of antiquity that should be in museum displays, but our age and lack of $ to live on, make us go for the bucks. It is better than being without something – especially in my old age and daily diminishing health.
GOOD LUCK !!! RED Matthews

Leanna

Reaction score
Thank you Red,

I do agree with you about breaking up the case. Prior to finding these jars, my knowledge of canning jars was that a person put preserves, nuts, etc. for the holidays. Now after so many hours of research and realizing what an incredible find I was blessed with, I get very sad when I look at the case with one missing. At least we know that whoever buys these jars wants them enough to take good care of them.

Never would I have thought that "I" would become a jar enthusiast, but I am now. I am also keeping one of the jars, wish it could be the blob and a jar, but like you said, got to go for the bucks.

Thank you so much, Leanna

Leanna

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Quick question. I went back to the home where I bought these jars, it was on Newhope St. in Santa Ana, CA. The house went into foreclosure, but I did find out that it was a Mother and Son who lived right next to from each other. That was the only info. that the neighbors could tell me. Ring a bell?

botlguy

Reaction score
Leanna. As Red said, you may use any information I give / gave you for your auctions.

The street name does not mean anything to me at this time, 1968 was 45 years ago and my memory is not the best. Whoever had those must have been factory employees or got them from employees. Simply by the fact that what is in that case are not generally in the public, especially the blob leads me to believe that.

As far as them being in a museum, I say they are FAR better appreciated in collector's hands where they will be seen by far more people. Museums have a tendancy to store 10 times more items than they display. Most donated items NEVER get on public display. When I left Santa Ana I offered Bowers Museum my entire Orange County memorabilia collection, the largest artifact & ephemera collection ever assembled and it included over 100 Santa Ana bottles, for only the stipulation that it be displayed for two weeks minimum on a regular, minimum every 5 year basis. They scoffed at the idea, said my junk was way too new and if donated they would damn well do anything they pleased with it. I actually bought several of those items from other museums. Nuff said ! !

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis