Warm sunny DaddyDaughterDigger day :)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I'm shocked you haven't heard it alot before, have a good night....Jim

sandchip

Reaction score
Lona, I mentioned this in another thread to make sure you turn off the location setting on your cell phone and on your digital camera. Scumbags can get the GPS coordinates off the pictures you post leading them right to your dig spot.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I have caught wind of of the possibility that some diggers out there are on a hunt to find the location we are digging.

Hey Daddydaughter,
Good advice from Epackage above. If iit is true, it's disturbing what people will do out of basically sheer greed. Sorry to hear that but you should protect yourself as best as possible. Anyone who is willing to steal your spot is unlikely to respect your wishes regarding being decent to the homeowners (so let's hope it is not true).

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

Lona, I mentioned this in another thread to make sure you turn off the location setting on your cell phone and on your digital camera. Scumbags can get the GPS coordinates off the pictures you post leading them right to your dig spot.

Come on now! you guys make it sound like a episode of "Spy vs Spy" in a mad magazine.Cell phone? digital camera? GPS? redickulus. Just get a gun and be done with it.

DaddyDaughterDiggers

Reaction score
The technology today scares me lol. I remember when all we had were Beepers and house phones. I'm going to check my camera today and make sure those settings are no longer visible. The thing that gets me the most, is the reason why I dig. I dig to stay close to my father and to continue our hobby. My dad and I are not hard tuchy's. If someone wanted to dig with us, I would try to make it possibles! You wouldn't have to steal the spot's, just ask to join us one of these digs. And we would try to make it happen. Maybe I just live in a fantasy world.

Plumbata

Reaction score
I'll chime in and agree that there are plenty of shady people who will try to ferret out the locations of good dumps or digging sites. People here on this site have done it to other diggers based upon a few informative words or images that show the general landscape and not just the hole or some in-situ bottles. As a game, I will try to locate people's digging spots based upon the clues they unwittingly provide, and have been successful in the past. Instead of raiding their spot, I message them and warn them that the info should be removed/edited because there are plenty of dishonorable diggers out there. There was 1 dump about an hour away from me that was producing colored druggists and hutches by the bucketload, and I found its precise location. It took some restraint to leave that one alone, lol.

The dump you two are digging is a top-notch spot, and is one of the very few places where a person could "earn a living" by digging and selling the finds. I had a dump that produced like that for a while, and had to keep close-lipped about it because others were actively trying to figure out where I was digging.

As an aside, if I were you I would dig that dump all winter long. When the heavy frost sets in one can dig caves ("bottle mines", hehe) under the frost layer, and the frozen overburden tends to be extremely strong and supportive, especially when strengthened by roots and whatnot. Plenty of people would advise against this, but if done intelligently and with great attention to physics and the carving of load-bearing supports in the earth, it makes digging extremely easy (and comfortably warm even in late January).

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: epackage

Happy to help... I'm sure you've heard this a million times but you look just like Olivia Wilde... Good luck on the rest of your digs

Two things to add...

1) Jim you're right,...it's a fairly uncanny resemblance.[:)]

2) Lona,...even though you have a decent generous attitude, and are willing to share and be kind,...Some people are amazingly unscrupulous when it comes to raiding and pillaging someone elses good dig spot. Tom, Fred and I had various folks (both good and bad) trying their luck at finding our "under the drugstore" dig of a few years back. I was relatively careless, out of enthusiasm for a great dig, when posting various pics...and that's not just a random occurance. It happens fairly often in various locales, Fortunately we were about finished digging there when this came to light. I hope that no one attempts to infiltrate your spot.[&:]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora