How should I approach this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

herndonbottles

Reaction score
I live down the road from you in Fairfax County (Herndon) and have been collecting bottles and digging for a long time. I have found some good dumps in Loudoun county. As others have wrote, privies on farms or rural areas can be hard to find. Also, look for trash pits, cisterns, ravines, old foundations, cellars, that might have been filled in. Some of these places my have had an icehouse and when they stopped using it, the trash was dumped in it. The more you can find out about the site the better.

Old maps or pictures of the area might help to determine what the site used to look like. Here's a website http://www.historicaerials.com/ that has aerial pictures that could go back 50 years or more. I have used it with success in looking at sites in Fairfax and Loudoun County to concentrate on areas to search.

Is the residence still occupied, was it a farm at one time, and what outbuildings are in the back yard area?

I'd be happy to assist, if you would like someone to tag along. Sending you a PM with my info.
-Peter

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Hey Peter. The residence is occupied and I'm planning to meet the homeowner later today or tomorrow for permission. The property has an old gazibo near the backyard and a very old foundation of a barn in the woods behind the house. I think I was a farm, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for the site! It's going to help a lot with this and other potential digs. I'll let you know if I need any assistance via PM or email.

surfaceone

Reaction score
The residence is occupied and I'm planning to meet the homeowner later today or tomorrow for permission.

Tim,

This would be Step One. Hope you didn't get your hopes up for nothing. How is it that you have acquired the information about the General's Camp being at this residence? Have you talked with the Loudon Museum folks?

Lure_of_Loudoun_Exhibition_July_2010_5.jpg

I'd be wary of putting out too much information about a site such as this, prior to securing an ongoing permission. Don;t put the probe before the permission, so to speak...[8D]

I was just reading some history of the area and meetings that took place in this strategic part of Virginia. You don't need the Louden Rangers beating you to the punch. [8D]

f-36%20independent%20loudoun%20virginia%20rangers.jpg

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
I did talk to the curator of our local museum and he said that there was a confederate general's hq in our area, and the house is the only one that dates before 1860. The original owners were on the confederate side and two of their sons fought in the calvary division. I got this info from ancestory.com and other sites the Loudoun County Historical Society offered.

I am sad to say that the owner said no [:(]. But, now I know not to give a lot of hype about something that may not happen. I was just so excited, since it would be my first dig. Ironically, right after I talked to the owner, I saw your post and I thought: "Thanks God for rubbing it in." Oh well. Good learning experience anyway.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Oh well. Good learning experience anyway.

Hey Tim,

Had a hunch that this would be the case, I'm sorry to say. If it was indeed a camp of General Jackson's, I'd imagine that the soldiers camping in the area wouls have spilled over beyond the limits of this property, as it is configured today. You might take a run at the neighbors, or adjoining property holders.

Maybe you'll discover Colonel Geary's HQ as a consolation prize.

geary.jpg

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
I sure hope I can find that! The Battle of Bolivar Heights is due West of us, maybe ten miles away and Lovettsville being 2 or 3. But that will be another story another day (hopefully [;)]). I do, however, have a dig scheduled next week (talked to the homeowner this time [:D]). The house was built in the late 1880s, but their property may be older, since it's in town.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

surfaceone

Reaction score
harpers_ferry.png

Hey Tim,

How accessible are all the old river fords in the area?

santa1.jpg

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the fords, but the C&O Canal is accessible, but no digging allowed. I'm guessing that fords were river crossings, right? If that's the case White's Ferry (Leesburg), the Brunswick Bridge (formerly Berlin Bridge), and the Point of Rocks Bridge are all fully accessible.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
in Northern Va there were basically camps along every hiway and railroad which existed during the civil war.
The winter camps are obvious since they had hut sites but the summer camps can be harder to identify.
I hunted roads like Rt1 (king's hiway) and Rt 234 (old Dumfries Road) while growing up in that area.
Also found revolutionary stuff mixed in. The army of northern Va moved all over the place down there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94