First Dug Stone Beer!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Today I exercised one of my key rules of digging: be thorough. So, I went back to a huge 1910-30s town dump that had been bulldozed flat. I figured there have to be pockets that the dozer and other diggers missed. The first two hours turned up a few fruit jar lids and unembossed screw caps. I finally went to a spot far down from where I usually go. The quantity of whole bottles I was turning up was pretty encouraging. After a bunch of fruit jars, and two 1" tall bottles, I turned up a broken top of a stone beer. It had a blue lip, and was probably a late toss, perhaps when it broke. I thought to myself too bad I can't find one of those here! Well a few minutes later my rake caught onto something large, and I saw what appeared to be a stone beer! I pretty much dismissed it as having a hole, missing the lip etc., but when I pulled it out it was all there. I was even more excited to see it was stamped on the front! Needless to say I decided to call it a day before it got dark. I sure hope there's more where that came from!

J.N. Hammond/ 1853
Is it odd that the date is stamped below the shoulder? The D looks more like an I, and the date is half-stamped. It is from Cochituate, Mass.

8251129270_45720087f2_z.jpg

8250060149_54458e63d5.jpg

deenodean

Reaction score
Ginger beers are SOOOOO RARE to find here, I have only found one. Ya it is very exciting to find them , hope you find more!!

luckiest

Reaction score
Very nice! Those are what I look for and never find.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac