Any tips on digging farm field home sites?:)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I have stumbled upon 2 new spots which might have some bottles. One is a farm feild which a house once stood there in the 1800s , I found small pottery fragments on the surface. The 2nd spot is a somewhat of a embankment which once divided 2 farms . I found a brick and a hole lot of wood and stone there. Should I dig these places or am I just wasting my time? Any tips on spotting were the dump or privy might be ? Thanks and Happy Holidays! - Jake

Jim

Reaction score
The embankment is a good place for a dump to have been. Unfortunately, farmers often dumped their field rocks in the same place, so a lot of the glass got smashed or hidden. There should still be some bottles to be found if you can find where they were dumped. Just scour the embankment for any signs- rusted metal, crock pieces and of course glass. You might have to move a lot of rocks.

As for the privy pits, if you know where the house stood, they should be not far from the back of the house. Every place is different, but just for example, my house is an old farmhouse built in 1896, and the pit was about 10-15 feet from the back of the house. Old lilac trees can be a good indication, that's how I found mine right away. Good luck, it's definitely worth checking out. ~Jim

RCO

Reaction score
there sort of tough locations to find things , there could be items there but may be hard to dig up or find . you sort of have to look for signs of bottles like broken glass or garbage in the area . and if you see anything positive maybe try a test dig in that area .

hunter2000

Reaction score
Jim was the pooper right under the lilac trees?
As for finding the dump my suggestion is to try digging where you think it might be. Thats the best way it takes 1 miniute. I have found more than a 100 dumps and never needed advice just start digging it will be obvious.
Good luck

Jim

Reaction score
It was within a foot or two of the tree. I've seen a lot of them around here like that. Usually lilacs, but sometimes old fruit trees like apples or pears were planted by the pit. ~Jim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp