Has old traits, but not sure if really old? Thanks!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

screlichunter

Reaction score
Great web-site!

I was given bottle that is somewhat challenging. Need some expert advice.

It has the following qualities:

Bluish-Teal more blue in color

There are no mode seams that are clearly visible.

The top is straight no tool marks, but is slightly out of round at the mouth.

There is a pontil mark on the bottom.

I believe the top was applied at the shoulder, but the design of the bottle with the ridges on the side is hard to determine.

There are small bubbles throughout the entire body, but they are hard to see with the ridges on the body.

The bottle was found in an attic box wrapped up.

The bottle hard some sticky dust outside that was easily cleaned with soap & water with a light plastic scouring pad.

The inside had some residue that I cleaned with hot water and rice.

There are no usage flaws, just some light imperfections from the blowing.

I was thinking it was some type of bitters or gin bottle if it were old, but maybe one from Pier One or Hobby Lobby.

Just wanted an expert opinion on if it was old, then:

How Old?
What type?
Maybe manufacturer?

Thanks so very much!
Jeff

161A646D49CE43049DB549EE98DBD14B.jpg

Attachments

• 161A646D49CE43049DB549EE98DBD14B.jpg
    161A646D49CE43049DB549EE98DBD14B.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 106

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
that is an odd one.

It looks mold blown. The lip looks like it might be fire polished (are there any circulat tooling marks?).
With the color , texture, and non-utilitarian lip, I'm thinking its a decorative/art glass item. Doesnt seem particulary recent.

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

There are no tooling marks at all, very smooth. The inside of the lip is concave as shown in the image. Also the measurement across the top or diameter of the lip is not equal, by about 1/16" of an inch.

Thanks again!

DEAADB782684497FA3ECEE53AEB076AF.jpg

Attachments

• DEAADB782684497FA3ECEE53AEB076AF.jpg
    DEAADB782684497FA3ECEE53AEB076AF.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 92

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Tough one to figure out with out holding it in person. Traits in its favor of being old 1840 to 1860 are..... The slightly flanged lip suggesting utilitarian use,rough hastily made pontil mark suggesting production of more then just one of these. Traits not in favor of it being old but possibly a fantasy bottle from say the Clevenger Brothers are the color,the strange barrel shape and the quite prevalent cold mold ripple through out the glass. I guess it comes down to base wear on the very perimeter of the bottom. Does the bottle look like it has been sitting for quite a while or does the bottom look too pristine like it was made yesterday. Take the bottle outside with the sun to your back and take some sharp pictures especially of the base and neck. The sun brings out the best in glass. My opinion is that it is a 50 50 call right now but I will say I have never seen this form before. Hope to see additional pictures

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks!

I will certainly post some more images with the suggestions.

I do appreciate all the help!
Jeff

screlichunter

Reaction score
I have some more information:

Unfortunately the sun did not want cooperate today. But I was able to capture some closer images after I polished it up a bit with a t-shirt. Sorry for the large photos and the non artist drawings.

I found three mold seams which splits the bottle up in thirds all the way up to just below the top. the seams going up the side are actually hidden by the mottled lines in the texture. Also the inside of the bottle holds the inverted texture of the outside of the sides. I was able to see abrasion on the bottom, but only the high points of the bottom rim or base.

I will send some more images when the sun finally comes out.

Thanks again for all of the help!
Jeff

CA98FFD052164226AAA40125DBABCBFB.jpg

Attachments

• CA98FFD052164226AAA40125DBABCBFB.jpg
    CA98FFD052164226AAA40125DBABCBFB.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 93

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
THe three sectioned mold, the vertical ridging which makes labeling difficult, and a lip style which doesnt seem practical to seal all make me think late 19th to early 20th century decorative/art glass bottle.
No real evidence, just my impression. Could be totally wrong.

tigue710

Reaction score
no idea what to think of that, all the pieces do not add up any which way... My guess is 1930's Clevenger Brothers...

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
possible , I have no experience with early clevenger items.
I remember some of thier surplus molds auctioned off were for odd artsy items.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the additional pictures Jeff,great presentation.It goes a long way in being so precise as many people lazily and hastily ask for help with minimum efforts on their parts. I am sold, the bottle seems much more original as the top and the base suggest to me the reasons why. The bottle was made for use as without the small flare any liquid would run back down the outside of the neck,bottles 101.The base wear looks quite genuine so I believe it is old and original to its period 1840 to 1860. Now we just have to figure out what was in the bottle. It might be a scent bottle from France,or a toiletry bottle from England. The base wear is key as it is distributed on the high points on the base where you would expect it to be with fine abrasions indicative of a long induced polishing versus an applied fake more recent one as those tend to have more deep scratches embedded in the wear.I am sure others will help you here also Jeff. Do you have more bottles or is this the beginning of a collecting career?[;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94