Old Dump with a promising "sign"!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Last week I returned to the dump where I had found my first stone beer bottle. I've been digging on and off there for about five years. My first ventures yielded what most would call junk, so I pretty much abandoned it. That was a mistake! Despite being bulldozed and dug for years, it covers at least 10 acres, so the odds are I would find an untouched spot.
I focused on a promising "mound" near where the stone beer came out of. I decided to dig towards an oak tree, and was surprised to see some color in my hole. Brushing the dirt away, I saw the edges of a porcelain sign! With that strong motivation, I set to work freeing it. I took almost half an hour, since it was completely root-bound and my clippers were terribly dull. I was finally able to free my second sign, a Texaco Motor Oil! It was double sided with the familiar logo. I searched quite a lot online and could not find one in this shape, so maybe it's a rare one?
My digging buddy Mike had to leave after I found the sign, but I pressed on. I had found my first intact milk bottle and a common soda (all sodas and milks I had found in this dump before were broken), so that was a very good sign. Before long I started turning up more sodas, some being blobs. I was dead tired by the end, but it was a pretty rewarding day!

Texaco sign
8277569061_008f2858d3_z.jpg

Bottles!
Back rows: 2 Gladstone Springs Narragansett Pier, L. Capozzili Boston, strap sided whiskey, Jos. Peabody Waterbury Conn. milk, McKenna & Conaty Providence, master ink, J.A. Hebert Central Falls, RI, WBW Arctic RI, olive green English whiskey, Sullivan Bros. Providence, Berry Spring (green), Berry Spring Pawtucket (Aqua)
Front: W.H. Arnold Riverpoint, RI mini blob, 2 amber Wyeth meds, S.B. Goff's Compound Magic Oil Liniment, Antrol, fancy cruet, 2 Bourjois, Paul Westphal Auxiliator for the Hair.
Others: Brass padlock, three marked porcelain stoppers, nice stoneware lid, 2 mini bottles, wire insulator, large milk glass stopper

8278625586_0c6099995b_z.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Good stuff Taylor, big fan of the stoppers you found too...

msleonas

Reaction score
Taylor continues to amaze me at all of the time and effort he puts into digging. Hard work pays off! Congrats Taylor!

Jim

Reaction score
Great dig, Taylor. The Texaco sign is pretty solid for being in the ground that long. It's been over two years since I found that many blobs on one dig. That's a nice oak washstand, too. ~Jim

mainer1

Reaction score
When your hot your hot!
And your HOT!!
Great sign

madman

Reaction score
amazing finds! can i see a closeup of the sb goffs?

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
10 acres?!!!!! That dumps sounds amazing. You're getting great stuff out of there. The sign isn't in that bad of shape...at least you can still read it. Nice!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado