Pottery bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Cthulhu

Reaction score
While bottle digging in one of my cousin "Glassgopher721"'s hot spots with my uncle, I dug below an area we had gotten alot of 1890s ish bottles and shards I came up with this pottery bottle looking thing. I was just curious if anyone knew anything of these type of things and could tell me any information. It had no embossment or any sort of identifying marks so I don't expect many specific details. Also for curiositiy's sake, is it worth anything? Thanks ahead of time for any information given! Pics to follow...

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

TROG

Reaction score
This bottle is very common and this shape was used from the 1830,s right up to around 1910 and held Blacking for Stoves and Fire Grates. The early ones up until about 1860 often had an impressed maker name and have a bit of value . Yours as mentioned dates around 1890- 1900 and usually only sell in the $2 -$5 range.

David

Cthulhu

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TROG

This bottle is very common and this shape was used  from the 1830,s right up to around 1910 and held Blacking for Stoves and Fire Grates.

Ahh very cool, that makes a lot of sense. It was full of some really nasty black stuff when i washed it out. Definitely was a neat thing to find, too bad it wasn't embossed like you mentioned. Looks like another for the ol' display cabinet haha. Thanks a lot for the info Trog =)

botlguy

Reaction score
I have seen these around forever but never knew what the original contents were so thanks David / TROG for that input. While I agree that they don't have a lot of monetary value they would be neat to dig, I never dug one. Nice find.

canada

Reaction score
As Trog said, a blacking pot. Some were for stove blacking, but many contained a linseed oil-based compound for preserving leather (Shoes, boots , harness, etc).

Have seen them in 3 sizes. Common, but nice. Some have the maker's fingerprints on them.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler