January 19, 2013 – 28th Annual Mississippi Antique Bottle Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
RE: January 19, 2013 – 28th Annual Mississippi Antique Bottle Show

Two hour drive up, two hours at the show and then two hours back but it was worth it. Nice folks and lots of tables with interesting things. Got to meet Jay and his wife. I even picked up a vet bottle from him. Also got a hunter/fisherman calabash form Mr. Heckler...the aqua one, not the $3000 green one[:D]
I will post pictures later.

I have mentioned a few times one here that I have not been able to find an active club down here even though there used to be one in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
There were several New Orleans collectors with tables there. One man, who used to be a member of the New Orleans club, told me everyone just stopped coming. "We are all rather private about our sources of bottles and dig sites. You don't really want people to know where you are digging so you just don't want to get together".
That was a shock to hear. There would not be a Baltimore club if they had that attitude....or any club.
I could care less where you are digging...just share your finds and stories. Sheesh!

bostaurus

Reaction score

There was a couple from Vicksburg with a table full of colored flasks and cathedral pickles. Absolutely gorgeous! I only needed a few thousand to buy them all.

Longhunter

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: bostaurus

Two hour drive up, two hours at the show and then two hours back but it was worth it. Nice folks and lots of tables with interesting things. Got to meet Jay and his wife. I even picked up a vet bottle from him. Also got a hunter/fisherman calabash form Mr. Heckler...the aqua one, not the $3000 green one[:D]
I will post pictures later.

I have mentioned a few times one here that I have not been able to find an active club down here even though there used to be one in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
There were several New Orleans collectors with tables there. One man, who used to be a member of the New Orleans club, told me everyone just stopped coming. "We are all rather private about our sources of bottles and dig sites. You don't really want people to know where you are digging so you just don't want to get together".
That was a shock to hear. There would not be a Baltimore club if they had that attitude....or any club.
I could care less where you are digging...just share your finds and stories. Sheesh!

Common sentiment in the south. It's the same with arrowhead hunters. Everyone figures they would rather be GREEDY and find all the good stuff rather than have some good FELLOWSHIP with friends. I quit hunting arrowheads when my group of 50 to 60 year old friends starting acting like CHILDREN.

Go figure
[:mad:]

bostaurus

Reaction score

Common sentiment in the south. It's the same with arrowhead hunters. Everyone figures they would rather be GREEDY and find all the good stuff rather than have some good FELLOWSHIP with friends. I quit hunting arrowheads when my group of 50 to 60 year old friends starting acting like CHILDREN.

Go figure
It is rather sad. So much history and fellowship they could be sharing.
I learned so much at the Baltimore Club thanks to John, Chris and the other diggers that brought in their finds....and all the diggers that share on this site.
That guy at the show reminded me of type of bottle Golum, sitting in a dark room of his house, fondling his bottles and whispering, 'My Precious'.

beith_2005

Reaction score

I got to meet forum member Jay and he was a super nice guy not to mention he had a super hard Mississippi hutch I needed. He also had some Dr. Pepper bottles my girlfriend needed. Thanks again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky