Town Dump Dig with video

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I returned to the town dump for a third time, and it was almost a bust. Two hours in I had two ok bottles from a 3-foot deep hole. I was about to head out, and decided to scratch around a dead tree. It was on the edge of this 50 foot wide depression that was dump, and my second swipe with the rake turned up a nice Kickapoo Oil! I found another one rather promptly, then an even nicer Kickapoo Cough Cure. There was a nice 6" ash layer about 6" down, and the upper half foot contained much newer 1930-50s bottles. I was kind of mystified, but happy to find stuff! The best surprise was a small jug, even though it had a chunk out of the lip.
I finally got my act together an made a video of my last three visits to the site. It's a little odd since I used two cameras, but now that I have an new camera I can go pro again [:D]

Dig video

8319731323_117c72f987_z.jpg

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Love watching the dig videos.. Is that a Chamberlin's in the front of that line up?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Taylor,

Thanks for the video, sir! The fidelity of your new camera is remarkable. May I axe what kinda camera it is?

That belted Geo. L Claflin druggist is a Beaut, as are the stoneware, pocket knife, cruet...

"In 1842 the name Claflin first became known in Providence, Rhode Island, in connection with the drug business. In that year George Lyman Claflin came to the city, a young man of twenty, and entered the employ of the drug firm John H. Mason & Company, whose store was on Weybosset street nearly opposite the old City Hotel. In 1869 another Claflin entered the same business, Arthur Whitman, and in 1873 the firm of Geo. L. Claflin & Company was organized. In 1884 Arthur W. Claflin became a partner in that firm, and for two years father and son were thus closely allied. Then the elder Claflin yielded to the inexorable demand that comes to every man, the son continuing and being now the honored president of the Geo. L. Claflin Company, wholesale and retail druggists, incorporated in 1903. Thus for seventy-five years, Claflins, father and son, have been intimately connected with drug activity in Providence, this review being devoted to their lives and work.

George Lyman Claflin, of the sixth American generation of the family founded in Wenham, Massachusetts, in 1661, by Robert MacClaflin, son of Lyman and Rebecca Gay (Starkweather) Claflin, was born at Pawtucket, R. I. (then in Massachusetts), Dec. 22, 1822, and died in Providence, April 4, 1886. He was educated in public and private schools, completing his studies at the Academy in Pawtucket taught by Frederick Vinton. In 1842 he came to Providence and became a drug clerk in the John H. Mason & Company store, continuing with their successors, Earl P. Mason & Company, with whom he remained many years, becoming a partner, the firm reorganizing later as Snow, Claflin & Company. This arrangement continued until 1873, when Mr. Claflin bought the stock, fixtures and good will of the store on South Main street, conducted by J. Balch & Sons, and continued the business under the firm name, Geo. L. Claflin & Company. He was senior member of that firm for thirteen years, building up a very large business in drugs, both wholesale and retail..." From.nequip.com/media/cms/About/claflin_1817.jpg

claflin_1817.jpg
Claflin today.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Surfaceone, my camera is a Canon Powershot 2400. It's a small little thing, but so far I like it!

Asterx

Reaction score
Congrats, I particularly like those recessed panel kickapoos. Thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp