You say Potato I say... Tater bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Thought I'd lost this bottle that I had silver picked back in early 2011. Found it tonight inside a pottery piece I'd stored in my basement. Anyway it is a flask shaped like a potato. It is about 5.5" tall with a ground lip. It has PAT APLD FOR embossed on its base. I thought it pretty cool that it also still had some original paint. I have failed at finding any information on it. There are pottery examples and milk glass world fair example. Any thoughts on rarity, desirability, values, age, etc.? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 08C6A8122A9548C4AF88AAC959A53F09.jpg
    08C6A8122A9548C4AF88AAC959A53F09.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

druggistnut

Reaction score
Bruce,
Neat. Does it have a sealed cap or is it a shaker style? I'd say that dates from the late 1890's.
I searched the patents for quite a while and gave up.
I'd say some type of seasoning, like buttered salt, perhaps.
Bill

glass man

Reaction score
Looks like maybe a large "turd" figural bottle to me...but then I have been having some colon problems lately and well,,WHEW..it has been tough.....No beside showing my back side..I too agree with the TATER bottle theory...nice ground lip..does the seem go to the top?I would guess 1900 or so [pretty safe guess there] but as a tater don't have much going for it in color or style..don't get me wrong I love taters...maybe 10 bucks?I say this cause I had a nice powder horn figural and had a hard time selling it..HOPE THAT HELP A LITTLE!!JIMIE

epackage

Reaction score
Last one I saw on ebay was in the $75-100 range Bruce, the paint was near perfect... I believe it was a whiskey nipper.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

Looks like maybe a large "turd" figural bottle to me...but then I have been having some colon problems lately and well,,WHEW..it has been tough.....No beside showing my back side..I too agree with the TATER bottle theory...nice ground lip..does the seem go to the top?I would guess 1900 or so [pretty safe guess there] but as a tater don't have much going for it in color or style..don't get me wrong I love taters...maybe 10 bucks?I say this cause I had a nice powder horn figural and had a hard time selling it..HOPE THAT HELP A LITTLE!!JIMIE

Odd bottle
Lol what have you been putting on your corn flakes G-Man [:D]

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
It does kind of have that Turd look to it Jamie and the seam is in the thread grooves. I've seen those glass powder horns before and I think this may be a bit scarcer, but I too doubt it has great value. [:D] Bill, the cap is solid with no perfs. I tried the patent Googly searchy thingy too to no avail. I wondered Jim if it was for whiskey, but think about the coolness factor using. You're standing in a group of gentlemen and one reaches into his pocket pulls out his Cigar and takes a nip. Pretty cool so I reach in my pocket and pull out my Turd and whammo... I'm left standing alone... [8|]. Not a great status symbol I would guess. [sm=lol.gif] Thanks all and hoping your new year is prosperous one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp