Booth's Gin Bottle with Seal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Nearly New Year's greetings, BC,

It is a neat one, & I'm glad you recovered it before that seal slid off, [8D]

There's not too much online Booth's history. You may wanna look for Lord Kinross' book.
41LF1oT-mnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From.

I'd give a possible earlier parameter on your date range. That grooved ring finish is pretty uncommon, as well.

groovedring.jpg
Thanks Bill.

918778-lg.jpg
From.

p1600836.png

"It is called Mountford House after its architect E.W. Mountford, who made it for Booth’s distillery. The building had to be demolished because of extensive war damage, but the façade, dating from 1901-3 has been largely restored." From.

"...Booth's Distillery (demolished). Cowcross Street and Turnmill Street were associated with the manufacture of gin by the Booth family and its successors for two hundred years. The story began in the early 1770s, with the establishment of what became the Cow Cross Distillery by John Mootham and Philip Booth. In 1772 Mootham, a gentleman resident in Highgate but with a distillery in Borough High Street, took a 42-year lease of a former brewery on the east side of the road, on part of the site now occupied by Nos 76–86 Turnmill Street and 24 Britton Street. (It was then referred to as in Turnmill Street, but later became No. 55 Cow Cross Street.) (ref. 73) Whether Mootham had just re-fitted the brewery for distilling or the conversion had been done some time previously, is not clear. Nor is it clear whether he was already in partnership with Philip Booth, whose name first appears in the ratebooks as having taken over the previously empty premises. Philip Booth & Co., as their firm was called, soon expanded the works, acquiring property to the south, in Plowman's Rents, including a former slaughterhouse, and to the rear in Red Lion (now Britton) Street. (ref. 74) By 1787 they also had a distillery at Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire. (ref. 75)

Cow Cross Distillery passed into the hands of Philip Booth's sons William, Felix and John. It was extensively rebuilt (Ill. 247) and another distillery was built in Brentford, near the sons' homes in Ealing and Gunnersbury. (ref. 76) In 1830 William died and John retired, leaving Felix in sole control. Felix, who in 1835 was made a baronet for his work in sponsoring Arctic exploration by his friend John Ross, continued to expand the business through acquisitions, as well as branching out into other activities. Booths eventually became the biggest distilling concern in the country. (ref. 77) The business continued in family ownership until 1897, following the death of Felix's nephew Sir Charles Booth, 3rd Bart, when it was floated (together with the business of another distiller's in Albany Street, Regent's Park) as Booth's Distillery Ltd. (ref. 78)
..." (More history, photos & plans Here.)

35764DB00_w.jpg
From.

TROG

Reaction score
This bottle dates around 1850-1860 and is relatively common on early sites here in Australia.They usually only sell in the $20-30 range depending on condition. There is a green version which is much rarer.

BeachComber

Reaction score
Happy New Year's all!

Thank you all for all of the very useful information! I was worried that the seal was going to fall off. So I taped it in place just in case! hahahaha. [;)]

Surface one - Thanks for the specific details on the bottle. Very interesting and pretty much exactly the info I was hoping for!

Sir Bottles - The bottle is about 14 inches tall.

Thanks again all!!

springer

Reaction score
I found one too in 1985

Hello all!

I recently found this one on a random dive and I was wondering if anyone has any sort of information on it or has seen one before. I have tried to google it but have not been very successful in finding any info.

The bottle does not seem to be very old as it is a three piece mold bottle. I am therefore assuming that the bottle is around the 1875 - 1885 date range but I could be wrong. The seal is located near the base of the bottle and is embossed with "Booth & Co / Superior / No 1 Gin / 55 Cowcross".

Any info such as where the bottle is from, the actual date and possible value would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

29F922873FA54B9784A3D3A8525DA8E0.jpg
[I found a bottle same as this one in Port Phillip Bay, near Queenscliff. I did a solo drift dive with a buoy tied on me and chase boat right down the shipping lane at the heads. This was in 1985. I still have the bottles well as several others and was recently reunited with it. great info here about it. Have to admit I thought it was more valuable. Don't see much about it. Mine has the cork in it still and air bubbles in the glass at the bottom/base and the seal is just a touch higher. I have treasured this find for 32 years. ;) /QUOTE]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky